Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Tick

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2016, 06:45 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Tick

almost everytime i go over a somewhat moderate size bump in the road i hear a single tick coming from the front of the SS. Any thoughts on what it could be??? Swaybar bushing?????
Old 08-18-2016, 08:13 AM
On The Tree

Just one tick? Can you feel the tick in the steering wheel? How fast are you rolling when you hear it?
Old 08-18-2016, 03:58 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Since it's fresh in my head, I've heard if front shocks are installed in the mount improperly they will knock when compressed (because the locknut wasn't truly tightened all the way down).

Not sure if that's possible, but just an idea.
Old 08-18-2016, 05:13 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by szalkerous
Since it's fresh in my head, I've heard if front shocks are installed in the mount improperly they will knock when compressed (because the locknut wasn't truly tightened all the way down).

That's definitely a possibility. If the nut is not properly torqued then the shock isn't properly secured.
Old 08-18-2016, 05:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by szalkerous

Very true, that's what happened to me when I installed my shocks myself. However I think it would only happen if you did a fresh install, that nut is more than likely not going to move over time with the amount of pressure it's under with the spring pushing up on that nut.

And it's definitely not a tick noise when the nut isn't tightened down all the way. It's a BANG!! THUD!! noise... You'll be scared if that nut is ever loose
Old 08-19-2016, 12:02 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Corvett z07
Very true, that's what happened to me when I installed my shocks myself. However I think it would only happen if you did a fresh install, that nut is more than likely not going to move over time with the amount of pressure it's under with the spring pushing up on that nut.

And it's definitely not a tick noise when the nut isn't tightened down all the way. It's a BANG!! THUD!! noise... You'll be scared if that nut is ever loose
Yeah I just did mine and boy did I crank that sucker on there (spring fully compressed) and 30ft lb on top of it. Added a lock washer under it per Strano's recommendation.

I didn't know if OP had just done shocks, that's why I thought it might or might not be a possibility.

I also had a Subaru once that loved to throw the brake clips off the rotors and that would cause the pads to rattle in the caliper over bumps. Loud and annoying clanks.

Quick Reply: Tick