Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

ABS module as line lock

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2016, 10:48 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1,261 Likes on 807 Posts

Default ABS module as line lock

Has anyone been clever and used the ABS module as a line lock solenoid?

I'd even be ok to use it to lock all 4 corners on command.
Thinking this could be useful in a footbrake type class where you're not allowed to use a transbrake. this would let you hold all 4 tight while activating say a 2 step. Then, just drop your button to kill the brakes and 2 step together and away you go.

I suppose you could always just use 2 line lock solenoids, but I was wondering if it's even possible with the factory abs module?
Old 08-10-2016, 11:24 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 40 Likes on 31 Posts

If anyone can program it to do that, I'd like to think they could disable Ice Mode as well, and I would pay $$$$ for that.
Old 08-11-2016, 08:29 AM
TECH Junkie

Does anyone have ABS module wiring diagrams? I'd like to know if the module can be forced on/off by just grounding a certain pin, or by giving it a 12v source.

For example, I know that in the transmission, the solenoids always are provided with a 12v source and the pcm will ground each one to activate as needed. So, if you want to check say 3rd gear, you can provide the appropriate solenoids with a ground to force them to do what you need. If the same thing could be done with the ABS module, I would think that you could set up a switch and momentary button.

If it hasn't been done before, i'd love to get some diagrams and guinea pig this project.
Old 08-11-2016, 08:47 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have wanted this in a controller editor like hp tuners for a while but I don't think it's worth the effort for them to do an abs module. It's possible as newer cars have the feature from the factory I believe allowing you to do it with the abs module. I would like to see if it's possible from a switch seems like they might have a fail safe to prevent a grounded wire from locking the brakes completely.
Old 08-11-2016, 11:44 AM
TECH Junkie

I'll talk to my pal over at GM and see if I can swing something and get the diagrams. Or maybe a service manual for how to "test" the module.
Old 08-11-2016, 01:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

You can't just splice into the harness and "force" one of the solenoids. All the solenoid coils are internal and controlled by the EBCM logic. Unless you've got a Tech 2 lying around (if it can even do that), it's much cheaper to just put a line lock kit in.
Old 08-12-2016, 01:26 AM
TECH Junkie

I understand there is a module with logic that determines when the solenoids are activated, but what's the actual mechanism for activating them? A solenoid is a solenoid is a solenoid right? They all get grounded (or supplied with power) to become enabled. So, when the EBCM logic determines that it's the appropriate time to activate a solenoid, how does it do so? It has to just ground it right? If need be, the body can come apart to look at the solenoids, and the board, but i'd rather see a schematic before I tear apart my module.

"You can take a good look at a T-bone by sticking your head up a bull's ***, but wouldn't you rather take the butcher's word for it?"
-Tommy Boy

Quick Reply: ABS module as line lock