Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

E brake sticking.

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2016, 10:57 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default E brake sticking.

A few years ago the brake would lock up when pulled. I stopped using it. A couple years ago I got around to messing with them. I took everything apart to clean and lubricate.

Both rear cables were locked up. They say not to lubricate but I did anyway with silicone spray I believe. Broke them free and left them hanging a few more days so fluid could drain. Spray and work them everyday.

Went to put everything back together. Had parts in one of those magnet bowls. Somehow one of the levers went mia so couldn't finish job. #11 in picture if it works.

Some time down road I found it. Fast forward and I had time to put everything back together. Drivers side cable is a tight fit. It could use a couple more inches. Anyway, pass side works fine but drivers locks up. Have to get under car and beat that lever to release brake.

I know all parts at hub are adjusted, lubricated and work nice. I can work it with my finger. Unless something is hanging up once pressure is on it but I don't see how that could be.

Could spring be weak? Could cable still stick enough to keep it from releasing? I could slide it no problem with fingers before install. Could I have "twisted" it while running it and caused a bind?

I was gonna order new cables but have read here and elsewhere the aftermarket ones are out of spec and junk. Ideas?

Old 08-26-2016, 10:20 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

I would definitely do some testing with what you have before ordering a new cable.

Originally Posted by Q3131A
Could I have "twisted" it while running it and caused a bind?
This would be my guess. When you say you were short a few inches, that doesn't sound right. That may be what is kinking things up. If you can move the levers fine by hand then it shouldn't be the brake mechanism. (The "spring" comes from the brake pad hoop and that won't go bad on you.)

I'd see if you can find some pictures of cable routings and make sure you are running the drivers's cable correctly. It might be worth taking it out again and making sure it moves smoothly all by itself and isn't permanently kinked.
Old 08-26-2016, 11:47 AM
Staging Lane

That's the plan. I'm gonna pull it off, lube, twist, push and pull again. Then carefully reinstall.

The Dorman line gets the little heart on rockauto but I've read too much bad about aftermarket and can't find new OE anywhere.
Old 08-26-2016, 12:10 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

Delete it.
Old 08-26-2016, 12:26 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 01ssreda4
Delete it.
It's been deleted for years and I hate it. I have a steep driveway. If I park there I put a block in front of tire. Next time I go to use car block is stuck from car creeping forward. I have to back car up to remove block. Sick of screwing with it.

Also, anytime someone else gets in they yank the lever and it over shoots the teeth. I have to remove console to fix it.
Old 08-26-2016, 12:32 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

Yeah, I wouldnt care for a steep driveway either.

Quick Reply: E brake sticking.