Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

What brake fitting is this? Its leaking from the ABS block

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2018, 07:34 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default What brake fitting is this? Its leaking from the ABS block

I got a 2001 camaro SS, 4 channel with traction control that is leaking on the backside of the ABS aluminum distribution block from a brass/copper fitting. This fitting has no external markings, and can not be removed with a wrench like a normal bleeder valve.

This fitting it located on the backside of the block, requiring a mirror to see it.

Is this a pressure relief value? Is it for bleeding with a GM tech2 tool? It appears to be controlled internally.
Front/top of the ABS block

Fitting on the back of the block that is leaking, located just below the right rear brake line.

A better view of the fitting that is leaking. Note the lack of options to grip in order to remove.

The black cap/buttom that was covering the fitting. This came off very easily with a tiny screwdriver.

How do I fix this?
Old 05-06-2018, 09:04 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 129 Likes on 114 Posts

Per GM parts layout catalog, the ABS unit is P/N 10424855. The GM shop manual only discusses removal and installation of the ABS unit. Nothing is shown/mentioned of disassembly/repair of the unit. From you pics, it looks like a piston or end cap retained by some kind of ring. That part number has long been discontinued by GM. That p/n is for ABS/TC 99-02. ABS without TC is a different p/n. You're probably gonna have to get one from a salvage yard.
Old 05-07-2018, 09:39 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by FirstYrLS1Z
Per GM parts layout catalog, the ABS unit is P/N 10424855. The GM shop manual only discusses removal and installation of the ABS unit. Nothing is shown/mentioned of disassembly/repair of the unit. From you pics, it looks like a piston or end cap retained by some kind of ring. That part number has long been discontinued by GM. That p/n is for ABS/TC 99-02. ABS without TC is a different p/n. You're probably gonna have to get one from a salvage yard.
First off, thank you for the reply and part number, my appreciated.

Any idea why I can't find anyone else with this issue before? It seems odd to me that I would be the first. Also, any idea why this fitting is even there to begin with? I can't seem to determine the function. It has to be there for a reason. Also, why is it now leaking?
Old 05-08-2018, 07:58 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 129 Likes on 114 Posts

You could very well be the first with a leak there OR others that have had that problem probably replaced the unit after investigating the problems and no solution found other than replacement.
It is not a fitting. I've been in hydraulics for many years and the unit contains some piston/valving controlled by the other end of the unit and that appears to be just a cap sealing that end.
Old 05-10-2018, 10:44 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by FirstYrLS1Z
You could very well be the first with a leak there OR others that have had that problem probably replaced the unit after investigating the problems and no solution found other than replacement.
It is not a fitting. I've been in hydraulics for many years and the unit contains some piston/valving controlled by the other end of the unit and that appears to be just a cap sealing that end.
Thank you for your input, I am looking for a replacement unit now.

I am guessing I will need a tech2 tool to efficiently bleed the ABS system once I install the new one?