Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Abs problems

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2017, 09:32 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Abs problems

Im having problems with my breaks....the abs module is leaking fluid and the brakes are mushy...went to the shop..they said my brake system is contaminated amd i have to reolace the whole brske system from the abs module down the calipers...i think he is jerking me off...he is asking 3100...he wont do an abs delete...i really need help on this one
Old 07-26-2017, 09:57 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

Go to Rockauto.com and purchase everything new, then replace it yourself...save some big money!
Old 07-26-2017, 10:33 PM
Teching In

Im not a mechanic lol i can fix small ****, l can do the master and module myself but i do want the brake lines changed so they might as well do the master and module...im figuring if an abs delete is cheaper than 3100 i will go that route...problem is finding someone who will do it...i live in dc...the shop i took it to in md said they wont do it at all lol
Old 07-27-2017, 07:08 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 349 Likes on 319 Posts

I'm going to move this over to the Brakes and Suspension section.

Originally Posted by TransAmZay
the abs module is leaking fluid and the brakes are mushy...
Are you sure that the ABS block is leaking? Could it just be the lines going into and out of it? That block is billet and typically a bomb-proof part.

they said my brake system is contaminated
This is bull ****. You fix a contaminated system with a $59.99 brake system flush. (Or do it yourself for $15.) It's a scare tactic and anyone who does deserves to be kicked in the *****.

i have to reolace the whole brske system from the abs module down the calipers...i think he is jerking me off...he is asking 3100...he wont do an abs delete...i really need help on this one
Your lines may be rusted. (You should be able to tell this yourself by looking under the hood and under the car.) With the age of the car, this happens. The parts cost a few hundred. The labor is a lot more than that, but should not be $3000 if it's just for the lines.

BTW - It's not legal for shops to do an ABS delete for on an on-highway car.

Bottom line - treat this like heart surgery. Go to another shop and get a second opinion. You might also try looking for a shop that specializes in F Bodies. They are out there. If you post to the regional forums here, the folks there might be able to help you find one local to you. (If you do need your lines replaced, this is probably not a job for a name-brand shop. They will charge you catalog rates for the work, which will drive up the price to crazy levels. ... and tell you BS like your system is "contaminated.")
Old 07-27-2017, 07:55 AM
Teching In

The 3100 was for the master, abs unit, lines, pads, rotors, calipers, i can do my own pads, rotors and calipers...he is insisting that i change everything...which i wikl eventually but i dont want his parts...i want a special kind of rotors amd calipers...he said if i dont buy them from him he wouldnt be able to work on my car again...so i said screw you...but im sure its the abs leaking...i will check the lines today and take pics if i can...if i replace the abs module do i have to replace the pump too? He said the system was contaminated because the rubber in the master cylinder tank is swollen....but there are no leaks at the wheels...just that one spot directly under the the abs unit
Old 07-27-2017, 09:29 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 349 Likes on 319 Posts

Please post pictures and we'll see...

So, here is some information on what happens when Brake Fluid gets contaminated with an oil-based fluid: http://www.agcoauto.com/content/news/p2_articleid/251

You might want to have some of your fluid sent to a lab to see if it really is contaminated if we can't verify your rubber is dissolving. If you do have a cross-fluid contamination, it looks like anything with rubber would need to be replaced or rebuilt. (There are opinions out there that you should be able to flush the metal lines.)

Quick Reply: Abs problems