Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Silverado brake bleeding issue

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2017, 07:09 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 25 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Silverado brake bleeding issue

Hi guys!

I just picked up an 03 Silverado SS that needed brake lines. I replaced them all with pre-bent stainless steel pieces. I also replaced the rubber hoses going to the calipers.

Heres the problem, I cant get them to bleed at all. I'm getting nothing at the calipers at all. I bench bled the master thinking that was the issue, but it hasn't solved anything. I removed the lines going into the ABS box and had someone push the brake, and there is fluid getting to the box. I've tried everything, from the old school pump up method, pressurizing the system through the master cylinder, and running a vacuum brake bleeder with my air compressor. Not a damn thing is coming out. Nothing.

I even had a buddy bring his super expensive Snap On computer over, and he cycled the ABS system in attempt to dislodge any trapped air.

Any ideas? This is the first time I've had an issue bleeding brakes.
Old 09-09-2017, 08:16 PM
9 Second Club

Received 62 Likes on 49 Posts

I just did the same thing to my 04 sierra and my dads 07 silverado last weekend. Replaced every brake line with the pre bent. I just ran all the new lines, filled the master back up. Then I loosened the lines going into the abs pump from the master until fluid was running out. Then I went to the right rear and used a mighty vac to pull fluid to the back, only took a minute. After that I just had a buddy help me bleed them the traditional way. I have heard that you need to cycle the abs pump with a scanner to get the air out, But I havent had any issues.
Old 09-09-2017, 08:25 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

need a tech 2 to bleed it.
Old 09-10-2017, 10:05 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by onebadbowtie86
I just did the same thing to my 04 sierra and my dads 07 silverado last weekend. Replaced every brake line with the pre bent. I just ran all the new lines, filled the master back up. Then I loosened the lines going into the abs pump from the master until fluid was running out. Then I went to the right rear and used a mighty vac to pull fluid to the back, only took a minute. After that I just had a buddy help me bleed them the traditional way. I have heard that you need to cycle the abs pump with a scanner to get the air out, But I havent had any issues.
I'll give it a shot.

I had my buddy use his computer to cycle the pump, but I got nothing. I'll report back later today.
Old 09-11-2017, 04:08 PM
TECH Apprentice

So... I think the master took a ****. It's not moving fluid on its own. I disconnected the feed lines at the ABS box, and had someone pump the pedal. Nothing much came out. I then pulled fluid through the line with a vacuum pump to make sure I wasn't doing something retarded, and sure enough fluid came rushing out.

I got a new master, and once I install it hopefully that'll cure my issue.

Quick Reply: Silverado brake bleeding issue