Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Suspension Question

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2017, 02:37 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Suspension Question

I am replacing my shocks and springs, along with a new panhard rod and torque arm. I am using the Bilstein/Eibach kit. My Formula is a 2002 6 speed N.H.R.A. Edition with 55k miles. Should I replace the upper spring pads for the rear springs? What about the front struts mounts? The pads are $100 no big deal. The mounts are $170 for 2 remans or $220 each for OEM. They aren't making noise or anything but I'm wondering if the pads or mounts wear over time?
Old 10-09-2017, 04:41 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Mezzy
I am replacing my shocks and springs, along with a new panhard rod and torque arm. I am using the Bilstein/Eibach kit. My Formula is a 2002 6 speed N.H.R.A. Edition with 55k miles. Should I replace the upper spring pads for the rear springs? What about the front struts mounts? The pads are $100 no big deal. The mounts are $170 for 2 remans or $220 each for OEM. They aren't making noise or anything but I'm wondering if the pads or mounts wear over time?
You do not need to buy new rear spring isolator, but you should probably buy new front shock mounts, you will probably destroy the stock ones in the process of taking them off.
Is it too late to not buy the eibach springs? I would either stick with stock springs or get something (almost anything) different than the eibachs.
Old 10-09-2017, 07:45 PM
On The Tree

Mezzy, what are the spring rates on Eibach?
Old 10-09-2017, 08:28 PM
Teching In

If you look up the SLP Performance shock and spring kit that they sell, or sold,(been awhile since I used them, so idk of they're still around), it is exactly the kit that came on all Firehawks and SS Camaros. It is the Bilstein Shocks and The Eibach Springs. The Springs are specifically matched to the shocks just as when they came on those cars new. It is an upgrade from the WS6 option. I do not know the spring rate. I do know however, that after having them installed years ago on my 94 Z28, I love the amount of performance for the money. Excellent in every way. I only drive my cars on dry days in spring summer and fall. No winter or rain ever so this kit is the best for a budget guy like me. I have a 99 Z28 to maintain as well so I always go with the best bang for the buck. I love these shocks and springs, but since I'm doing 2 cars at the same time, I was wondering if I should replace all the hardware. I am going to replace the front mounts and the rear upper pads, based on your answer. Thank you for clearing things up for me.
Old 10-09-2017, 09:15 PM
On The Tree

Mezzy, I didn't suggest replacing the front upper mounts and rear pads. In fact, I think it is a waste of money. When I replaced my springs and shocks the first time, I was careful on front and just ground away the rusted upper shock bolt and barely scratched mount. I threw the rear upper pads on the shelf and did the rubber hose application. With the money you save on those parts, you come pretty close to being able to justify the more favorably reviewed Koni Sports.
As far as springs go, I personally couldn't buy any springs without knowing the rate. Ride heights published means nothing to me. That is all somewhat adjustable anyway. When it comes to springs, rear rate availability runs from around 110 to 210. Anything above 140 or so will feel like a better performing spring. Front springs tend to run about 3.5 -3.8 times higher rate than rears in a matched set. 350-725 are readily available. Anything above 420 or so will start to feel racier.
Old 10-09-2017, 09:21 PM
Teching In

Wow, thanks for all the info. I will take it all into account. More useful knowledge. I'll look into those shocks and springs. Thank you for the information on the spring rates. Thank you

Quick Reply: Suspension Question