Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

How to reconnect ABS?

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2017 | 10:34 AM
On The Tree

Default How to reconnect ABS?

Happy Thanksgiving, fellow gearheads!
Whilst having my morning breakfast of way too much food and discussions with my father about my car, we crawled onto the topic of ABS and whether or not it's worth it. We both agree that it's good to know how to handle a car without it, but it's better to have a car with it.

On to my question. The previous owner of my car(I will refer to him as "Moron" from here) disconnected the ABS system in the car. Now, Moron must have been of the mindset that 'deleting' meant exactly that, in which case he went through everything that he deemed nonessential with a pair of wire cutters. Instead of simply disconnecting the ABS module, he went through the trouble of doing some weight reduction and cutting the connector. He also did this for traction control, A/C, cruise control, emissions gear, and a few other bits and bobs.

Now the cruise and traction controls I can live without, emissions aren't really in the cards, and I can cope without the A/C. But because I am not completely crazy, I would like to get my ABS back. Is there any sort of GM diagram on the module, along with part numbers and wire colors I could use to figure out how to rewire it? I am currently trying to build my car to be an all around fast car, and my brakes are part of the deal. If it is too expensive to replace the harness, or too intensive, I would consider an aftermarket unit, if anyone has experience with them in an f-body.

Thank you for your help!
Old 11-29-2017 | 08:46 AM
TECH Fanatic
5 Year Member

Do you have a 94? Pretty sure those are just ABS, no T/C. Should be a 3 channel, did he remove the ABS unit from the front of the car too?
Old 11-29-2017 | 07:00 PM
On The Tree

I actually have two, but I have a street-going 97 that I'm asking about here. The unit is still in there, just has everything unplugged from it.
Old 11-29-2017 | 09:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

If your 97 does have TCS/ASR, you can't just delete it and retain ABS. They're linked in the EBTCM under the dash, and having traction control disabled will also disable ABS by default.

How much did the original owner cut? There are 4 connectors on the ABS block (1 for power, 3 for the motors), plus the throttle servo over the valve cover if you have TCS, then the EBCM/EBTCM under the dash. Then there will be a separate motor block under the ABS block if you have traction control.
Old 11-29-2017 | 10:13 PM
On The Tree

I honestly am not sure. I can't find any connectors tucked away near it, but there are a few wire conduits that mysteriously end in the general area of the module.
Old 11-30-2017 | 05:48 AM
TECH Fanatic
5 Year Member

Can you take a picture of your ABS module? Or, how many lines come out of it. Two inputs from the master and then 3 more lines would be ABS only, if it has a total of 6 lines, one for each wheel, it has ABS/TCS. Then we'll still have to determine what the po has done as far as cutting wiring.
Old 11-30-2017 | 10:44 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by biketopia
Two inputs from the master and then 3 more lines would be ABS only, if it has a total of 6 lines, one for each wheel, it has ABS/TCS.
On 95-97 cars, all ABS blocks have 3 lines coming out of them. On ASR/TCS cars, they have a separate block underneath the ABS on the frame rail that then splits the single rear line into two rear lines.

The easiest way is to check your RPO sticker for NW9, which is the traction control option. You should also have a button for it on your center console.
Old 11-30-2017 | 11:33 AM
TECH Fanatic
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by Spartan7
On 95-97 cars, all ABS blocks have 3 lines coming out of them. On ASR/TCS cars, they have a separate block underneath the ABS on the frame rail that then splits the single rear line into two rear lines.

The easiest way is to check your RPO sticker for NW9, which is the traction control option. You should also have a button for it on your center console.

I stand corrected, thanks for the info!!
Old 11-30-2017 | 12:52 PM
On The Tree

I'll try to get some pictures after work today. Thank you guys for the advice!
Old 12-03-2017 | 02:05 PM
On The Tree

I completely forgot to grab pics before I put my car away for the season. I'm gonna be going back within a few days to disconnect the battery, and I'll try to grab some pics while I'm there.
Old 01-19-2018 | 10:02 AM
On The Tree

Reviving this thread, I have just purchased some much bigger brakes for my front end, and having been in full lockup situations, I'm not crazy about putting another 1.5" of rotor and another 4 pistons in the front without having ABS. Assuming I need all of the connectors, does anyone know what connectors and harnesses I would need?

Also, what would be a good rear brake upgrade? I intend to take this car to HPDE events and really don't want to run out of brakes, so I'm looking into the best setup for heat dissipation I can find.

Quick Reply: How to reconnect ABS?