Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Power steering leak

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2019, 06:23 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Power steering leak

Have a 99 ws6 Huron speed single turbo set up loosing power steering fluid every drive . No drops on floor put it up on my lift poked lil holes in rack boots no fluid coming out there can’t smell it burning on exhaust pipes or see it leaking under neath car or from the top side . Where is 10 ounces of brake fluid going in one day drive without showing no any signs . Any help would be very much appreciated . My power steering hoses are wrapped in heat wrap but no discolor or wet looking either . Thank you
Old 07-27-2019, 11:50 PM
TECH Resident

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Put the car on the ground on a fairly grippy surface (not gravel). At idle, turn the steering wheel full lock-to-lock, back and forth a bunch of times. Then check the power steering lines again.
Old 07-28-2019, 09:58 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 349 Likes on 319 Posts

If you don't see a leak at idle; from our experience here, I'd say:

89.9% probability - You have a power steering cooler and it's leaking. That P/S fluid is being driven (high pressure to lower pressure) into your coolant system. Check for the stock P/S cooler. (The rack return line goes through the cooler, which is inline to one of the radiator hoses.) If you have this setup, check the coolant dipstick for alien-like slime from this effect. This thread is for our refugees impacted by this common problem: https://ls1tech.com/forums/general-m...g-success.html

5% probability - Your P/S fluid is really dirty and is boiling over and out of the reservoir.

5% probability - You have a P/S pump leak that is ejecting fluid out the shaft seal under the higher RPM.

0.1% probability - Some low-life is siphoning off your fluid.
The following users liked this post:
Deguila (07-29-2019)
Old 07-28-2019, 11:48 AM
Staging Lane

Pretty sure I didn’t not have a power steering cooler set up it still stock power steering with stock lines . Thank you any other ideas ? Pretty frustrating
Old 07-29-2019, 08:28 AM
Save the manuals!

Originally Posted by tigearl12
Have a 99 ws6
This car came from the factory with a Power Steering cooler, just like mine did. Odds are that it's also leaking, just like mine (and many others) have. It's very easy to check. Just open the hood and trace the return line from the rack back up to the P/S pump reservoir.
Old 07-29-2019, 11:37 AM
Staging Lane

Yes it was the cooler. radiator fluid looked horrible replacing draining power flushing both antifreeze and power steering system didn’t look like it got into my power steering fluid it didn’t look bad but flushing it a anyway . Thank you for sure
Old 07-30-2019, 09:19 PM
Save the manuals!

Draining the P/S fluid is a great idea anyway. We've found that it boils over as it gets old. (Cooler, or not.) So, doing a 100% replacement every once in a while is a great thing.

That thread I linked above also has great information about cooler replacements. If you do a P/S fluid flush and keep on top of that and don't race the car - you probably don't need a cooler at all and can just remove the whole thing.