Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Brake question

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2004, 08:14 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake question

Hey just got my 1998 Z28 a week ago and I have another newb question. My brakes work fine and don't squeel whatsoever, but when I go to stop the body of the car jerks very slightly until I come to a stop. Is this slight jerk while stopping normal for the 98-02 LS1's? I bled the whole system and got out all of the old brake fluid and replaced it with synthetic fluid, and this seemed to help but hasn't fully solved the problem. Do I need new brake pads?? The car only has 49,000 miles and I am assuming it isn't necessary for a full brake job, plus I want to use my money for go fast mods if at all possible. Let me know what you guys think. Thanks.
Old 07-13-2004, 08:48 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Probably the standard warped rotors that nearly everyone has had to deal with. Usually it's the front rotors. A set of new ones will fix you right up (if it is a warped rotor as I suspect). Does the brake pedal "pulse"?
Old 07-13-2004, 09:54 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 141 Posts

A warped rotor is felt as a vibration/shudder in the steering wheel. If thats what you have, then your front rotors are warped. If you have some other shudder/vibration during braking then the rear rotors may be warped. (My front rotors are indeed warped, but I just replaced my pads only a few thousand miles ago so I may live with it for now -- may not be best idea though)

If you do suspect that the front rotors are warped, you may as well replace all four and the pads as well.

To keep it on the cheap (and relatively quiet too):
* Get AIMCO rotors from AutoZone
(It seems that they may no longer be available, but the DuraLast ones seem to have the same/similar model numbers -- so I am told)
* Get a decent set of pads from the auto store (not the cheapest)
(currently, I am using Satisfide Metalazer Ceramic front and Satisfide Metalazer Carbon-metallic rear -- some on here have also recommed Raybestos Ceramic and Wagner Ceramic)

For a slight improvement in performance go to TireRack.com:
* Brembo OEM blanks
* Hawk HPS pads

What I have stated above is from what I have learned on here (not necessarily personaly experioence)

BTW, my car has about 33,500mi on it and all brake pads were replaced before 30K mi.

Last edited by VIP1; 07-13-2004 at 10:01 PM.
Old 07-14-2004, 11:21 AM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by felton316
The Duralasts are the Aimcos renamed. Right now they are still in the Aimco box and everything. They are listed in the system as Aimco/Duralast. They are renaming all their ****. All the Perfect Circle brand suspension parts are being renamed Duralast suspension parts. All the lower end brands are being renamed Valucraft. Some day you will walk into Autozone and there will be only two labels, Duralast and Valucraft. Why? Cause the corporate AutoZone is a bunch of monkey's tied to desks, thinking of ideas to improve the place, but they all suck.
I got that quote from this thread:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/suspension-brakes/185907-no-more-aimco-rotors-autozone.html