Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

What do I need?

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2020 | 06:15 PM
On The Tree

Default What do I need?

I have a"02 Formula and it has plenty of power, the thing that bothers me is when I start off from a dead stop (under hard acceleration) the rear end feels like it fish tailing which its really not but it feels like it is.

So, what do I need to prevent this.

Let me tell you about my driving habits, I don't run the car down the drag strip I just drive the car on the street but like alot of people I like to have a little fun once-n-awhile.
Old 05-10-2020 | 11:03 PM
Pontiacerator
20 Year Member

Sounds like you have some sloppy shocks in the rear. Hard acceleration from a stop will compress the right rear, causing the left rear to lift. Then as forward motion begins, it seeks to level out, creating the side to side motion that feels like fishtailing, as you say.
The following users liked this post:
silverformula (05-11-2020)
Old 05-12-2020 | 10:56 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Originally Posted by silverformula
I have a"02 Formula and it has plenty of power, the thing that bothers me is when I start off from a dead stop (under hard acceleration) the rear end feels like it fish tailing which its really not but it feels like it is.

So, what do I need to prevent this.

Let me tell you about my driving habits, I don't run the car down the drag strip I just drive the car on the street but like alot of people I like to have a little fun once-n-awhile.
I would check the bushings in the rear control arms, panhard bar, and shocks for wear. How many miles are on the shocks? Anything over 50k and they will be weak.

Find a Quality alignment shop near you!

Quick Reply: What do I need?