Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Sticking brakes

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2020, 08:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sticking brakes

The brakes on my 2002 trans am are sticking. Sometimes just the front. Sometimes just the back and sometimes all 4 stick at once. I’ve replaced rotors, pads, brake lines , calipers, and the master cylinder and the issue is still there. Can anyone help me figure out what it could be
Old 05-13-2020, 07:06 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 349 Likes on 319 Posts

What do you mean by "sticking"? How do you know? What do you feel and what happens? What do you do to resolve the problem and drive the car?

Do you have any warning lights on the dash?
Old 05-13-2020, 12:16 PM

Originally Posted by wssix99
What do you mean by "sticking"? How do you know? What do you feel and what happens? What do you do to resolve the problem and drive the car?

Do you have any warning lights on the dash?

abs light is on because the fuse is pulled. But yes I can feel them dragging like the brakes are on. It starts vibrating real bad and the brake pedal gets hard. Once I stop, then turn the car off and let it sit for a little bit and drive again it’s fine. But sometimes it’s just the front that does it. Sometimes it’s just the rear brakes. And last night it was The back 2 and the passenger front.
Old 05-13-2020, 09:27 PM
Save the manuals!

Originally Posted by Kamerong
abs light is on because the fuse is pulled.
Stop here. You need to resolve all issues with the ABS system before looking further. You can't debug a situation like this with a computer brain running crazy on you. There is a reason why the fuse is not there.... You need to trace things backwards and find out why. If the ABS block is bad, it could be the cause of your problems.
Old 05-13-2020, 09:59 PM

Stop here. You need to resolve all issues with the ABS system before looking further. You can't debug a situation like this with a computer brain running crazy on you. There is a reason why the fuse is not there.... You need to trace things backwards and find out why. If the ABS block is bad, it could be the cause of your problems.

its pulled cause the drag pack throws it anyway. 2 different size tires. That’s why the fuse is out.
Old 05-14-2020, 07:28 AM
Save the manuals!

You need to list everything on the car (particularly on the drivetrain, suspension, brakes, and wheels) that is non-stock. With all this other non-standard stuff going on, we'd just be guessing and our guesses would have a high likelihood of being wrong. (Your signature is a great place to list out all the aftermarket things you have going on for the car.)

There's no "drag pack" offered by GM for the F Body, so we'll need details of what's involved. Do you have a line lock and a proportioner, etc?
Old 05-20-2020, 09:10 PM
11 Second Club

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

Had this problem once. It was a defective master cylinder.
Old 05-24-2020, 10:03 PM

You need to list everything on the car (particularly on the drivetrain, suspension, brakes, and wheels) that is non-stock. With all this other non-standard stuff going on, we'd just be guessing and our guesses would have a high likelihood of being wrong. (Your signature is a great place to list out all the aftermarket things you have going on for the car.)

There's no "drag pack" offered by GM for the F Body, so we'll need details of what's involved. Do you have a line lock and a proportioner, etc?

obviously they didn’t offer a drag pack. Its a 17/15 combo. 26inch y’all tires in the front 28s in the back. That’s why the abs fuses are pulled because different tires sizes. I’ve replaced pretty much everything. I did the traction control delete. It’s starts with the back. I can feel the back start dragging (causing it to slow don’t and have resistance.) the brake pedal gets are and then the fronts starts Doing the same thing right after. Then I can’t really move af all and have to pull over. But once they cool off the pedal gets normal feeling and it doesn’t do it again til I let it sit over night and try again the next day.
Old 05-24-2020, 10:04 PM

Originally Posted by ElkySS
Had this problem once. It was a defective master cylinder.

ive put 2 new ones on it and nothing changed
Old 05-25-2020, 10:45 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 40 Likes on 31 Posts

Are you sure its the brakes? At this point seems less likely if you've replaced most items. Are the rotors hot? What about bad bearings, maybe too much play and they start to sieze up? What about bent caliper brackets? That sounds possible, you get bad wear and something sticks b/c its not aligned correctly.

When I had a brake problem, I took a jack along with me on test drives, and soon as my problem happened, I pulled into an empty lot (business, church etc, maybe home if your block/loop is short), jacked up a corner and looked at things before it changed or cooled. Have an impact wrench you can take a wheel off real fast? Try something like that.
Old 05-25-2020, 11:45 PM

Originally Posted by Chris Paveglio
Are you sure its the brakes? At this point seems less likely if you've replaced most items. Are the rotors hot? What about bad bearings, maybe too much play and they start to sieze up? What about bent caliper brackets? That sounds possible, you get bad wear and something sticks b/c its not aligned correctly.

When I had a brake problem, I took a jack along with me on test drives, and soon as my problem happened, I pulled into an empty lot (business, church etc, maybe home if your block/loop is short), jacked up a corner and looked at things before it changed or cooled. Have an impact wrench you can take a wheel off real fast? Try something like that.

ive done exactly that. When it starts I’ve jacked it up and the wheels will not turn. Feels like someone is pressing the brakes. When I pull over I can smell the brakes and the rotors are hot almost to the point of smoking. Idk what Else to do. My only other guess would be abs is somehow messing with it even tho the fuses are pulled. Idk how that would happen to be honest. But that’s the only thing I haven’t messed with yet.

i got all new caliper brackets and new wheel bearings. New rotors, pads, calipers. Hell I even did a full fluid flush and made sure it had all new fluid in the lines.
Old 05-26-2020, 07:53 AM
Save the manuals!

Do you have an infrared thermometer? If so, I would scan your master cylinder and brake booster before and after this problem. I wonder if you have some exhaust on the car, or something like that, which is heading up the brake actuation mechanism and causing problems?

Quick Reply: Sticking brakes