Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Abs inop

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2022, 05:51 PM
Staging Lane

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Abs inop

Hello all,
Got a 1994 Firebird Formula 5.7 LT1 / 4L60E.

The Optispark died and I had it changed by a reputable shop. A few days later the ABS INOP light came on. I called the shop and they advised that they did not touch the ABS system.

I checked all the wires, connections, sensors, fuses, and relays.

Anything I’m missing? Anything I should check? Does the ABS system generate codes?

Thanks
Old 01-05-2022, 06:03 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1,913 Likes on 1,381 Posts

Running stock size wheels and tires?
Old 01-05-2022, 06:07 PM
Staging Lane

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Update!

i found this on Firebirdnation…..

A few things you can check yourself before you get the codes read are: 1) the battery voltage is too high or low or 2) that the brake light switch and high-mounted lamps are working ok. The EBCM checks for low or high battery voltage and sets a code for that as well as lighting the ABS INOP lamp. It also checks the brake lamp switch circuit for proper operation whenever it senses a deceleration consistent with applying the brakes. I think this will also set if BOTH high-mounted brake lamp bulbs are out. Not doing any rapid downshifts are you? Most of the other codes are for defects in the ABS system itself (valves, relays, wires, etc).”

Both my high mount brake lights were out. solved! Some good info to check if anyone ever has this issue.
Old 01-05-2022, 06:08 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1,913 Likes on 1,381 Posts

When I'd go racing I put 15" wheels on the car with 28x10.5 slick in the back and runners up front. This car came from the factory with 17x9 wheels and it would throw the ABS INOP light whenever I'd launch. Just turn the ignition off and then back on and it would go away. I have 17x9's up front and 18x10.5 in the rear with street tires and it never throws the ABS INOP light.

Quick Reply: Abs inop