Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Wheel alignment question

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2022, 01:31 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Default Wheel alignment question

I have searched and searched but I can't seem to find correct instructions for measuring caster on an F-body. I just replaced my lower control arms and rack and pinion. I have the Tenhulzen Camber/Caster Gauge kit. However, the caster measurements seem way too far off. Neither Haynes nor the service manual has any details about this.

I am not sure I have the math or procedure right.

1. Turn wheel 20 degrees to the left
2. O out the gauge
3. Turn wheel 40 degrees to the right or 20 degrees to the right from center
4. Take the reading (Currently reading 9 degrees) and multiple by what? Multiple x2? 1.5? 0.5?

Should I be tuning the wheel 10 degrees or 30 degrees or some other number?

Old 03-20-2022, 12:56 AM
12 Second Club

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

I don't know if you ever figured this out. You have to turn, zero the gauge when it is level (I'm not familiar with yours), so you are measuring camber. Then turn the opposite direction and measure the camber. The angle you turn determines the multiplier. If you turn 20 degrees the multiplier is 1.5, if you are getting 9 degrees you are doing something wrong. You can also just measure the angle of the spindle, it is pretty close to the castor, and just match them left to right.
Old 03-20-2022, 12:57 PM
12 Second Club

Received 42 Likes on 34 Posts

...Don't forget the F-Body needs a special alignment tool to properly adjust Caster/Camber. Google 83775 alignment tool. I only paid like $40 back in '08 when I bought mine...
Old 03-21-2022, 08:31 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Keep in mind I do have the newer UMI upper control arms the allow you to gain more Caster. I do have the alignment tool. I replace the rack and pinion as well as the lower control arms. I ended up just setting Toe then just taking it to the alignment shop this time. I wanted to make sure I knew for sure what my starting point was.

Here is what my alignment was after the shop this was as good as they could get it. I think I will likely end up putting the upper control arms into the stock position. That amount of Caster just seems like too much but maybe it is ok. II will try again soon now that I have a known reference at least.

Old 03-21-2022, 09:41 AM
12 Second Club

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

It depends on your preference on the amount of caster. I have about 2.75 camber and about 7 caster. Basically the car will track straighter and have more camber gain with more caster to a point... then you get jacking. I would stick with those alignment numbers, they look good for handling.

Quick Reply: Wheel alignment question