Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Adjustable leaf spring shackle question

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2022, 10:04 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Adjustable leaf spring shackle question

The rear of my 77 Trans Am sits just a tad too low for my liking after installing the LS3. I was thinking about buying these adjustable shackles from Allstar to bring it up about 1/2 inch or so. Are there any negatives to using these shackles or concerns about pinion angle changes?

Old 06-25-2022, 10:05 AM
TECH Addict

Received 524 Likes on 405 Posts

A 1/2-inch adjustment in ride height won't make that big of a deference to need to adjust pinion angle. You will be okay using adjustable shackles to raise the rear of the car a little.
Old 06-25-2022, 10:32 AM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks guys - one follow up question. To swap the shackles where do you recommend jacking the car up? Anything to be careful about when removing them? Always heard horror stories about dealing with springs but maybe those are more related to coils and not leafs.
Old 06-25-2022, 11:03 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 475 Likes on 354 Posts

I haven't changed springs in a 2nd gen in years so these are just basic instructions.
You want to support the car at the rear frame rail, If you look under the car there is a spot ahead of the leaf spring perch, If I remember correctly it lines up near the rear part of the door jamb. When changing rear ends we put jack stand on each side on the that frame section, Pull off both rear tires and put a jack under the center section of the rear end and slowly jack the rear end until you see it start to rise. You just want to take some of the droop out of the rear suspension. Then undo the nut at the rear shackle on both sides. If there is to much or to little tension to get the bolt out you'll either need to lift or lower the rear end. It's actually pretty easy as long as things are corroded making the bolt hard to remove from the spring eye. Once you get both bolts out you can lower the jack a little to let the rear swing down a little to give you room to work. There is a chance that the shocks may have to be unhooked to allow the rear end to drop but it depends on the car.
Old 06-25-2022, 11:10 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 475 Likes on 354 Posts

Just looking at the picture I would say the rear is at the factory ride height.

Quick Reply: Adjustable leaf spring shackle question