Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

shock tower going bad?

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2004, 05:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Question shock tower going bad?

here lately my car has been making some weird noises up front. Almost like something loose or something when i am driving on rough(or rougher) road, or when i hit a bump. i took it to my mechanic today and he said everything looks and feels fine underneath the car. he said that the only thing he could think of would be that the shock tower may be going bad. he drove it up the road and he heard the noise also.

i was wondering had any of u heard of this happening and would a STB help this problem????

TIA
Old 08-28-2004, 09:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by jlashley2001ss
here lately my car has been making some weird noises up front. Almost like something loose or something when i am driving on rough(or rougher) road, or when i hit a bump. i took it to my mechanic today and he said everything looks and feels fine underneath the car. he said that the only thing he could think of would be that the shock tower may be going bad. he drove it up the road and he heard the noise also.

i was wondering had any of u heard of this happening and would a STB help this problem????

TIA
I guess I am not sure how a shock tower can go bad, its just a piece of metal. Just check all the bolt to make sure they are not loose.

Gary
Old 08-28-2004, 10:45 PM
TECH Addict

Yeah, I dont think it could go bad unless you were in a bad accident. I would check the vertical control arm bushing, these things tend to get ripped or go bad every so often, and start making all kinds of bumps and thuds.
Old 08-29-2004, 11:15 AM
TECH Fanatic

well my mechanic said he looked over everything and he said all the bushings looked fine. Im so confused on what i should do?!! Please anyone feel free on replying with any info on this
Old 09-01-2004, 05:10 PM
Cal
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

could be a broken front sway bar mount or end link. Get another oppinion by having someone else look at it, or look at it yourself. There's a lot of things that could be loose and causing something like that. Think about the last mod that was done on the car, or the last incident, like hitting something on the road.
Old 09-01-2004, 11:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I had a broken upper front strut mount on my 95 camaro. It's located up in the shock tower, and thus could be mistaken for a "broken shock tower"

Quick Reply: shock tower going bad?