Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

HAL QA1 + Bilstein question...

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2004, 08:11 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HAL QA1 + Bilstein question...

Hoping someone can help me out with this...I've currently got the factory Bilstein installed on my '01 SS. I'm able to get a really good deal on a set of HAL QA1's (12-way w/ adj ride height).

Short Version: I want to know if I should re-use the Bilstein springs w/ the HAL's or swap to factory springs. I want to maintain a similar ride height to what I have now.

Long Version:
[FRONT] The HAL's have stock F-Body springs already pressed on....since the shocks are adj ride height, will I be achieve a similar ride height to what I've got now w/ the Bilstein??
[REAR] Obvisouly, one option is to leave the Bilstein springs in w/ the new HAL's which should maintain ride height. IF factory springs are used up front, would this cause issues if I had the Bilsteins out back??

Thanks for any input/assistance!!
-Andy
Old 09-23-2004, 12:05 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anyone have any input?? I really want the adjustability of the QA1's w/ the ride height I have now....

thanks for any advice!
-Andy
Old 09-23-2004, 02:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Keep in mind only the front shocks are ride height adjustable. I didn't know Bilstein made springs, but just use whatever gives you the rear ride height you want. I'd go with stock springs front and back, but remove the rear spring isolater.
Old 09-25-2004, 10:51 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You have a special Bilstein suspension package on your car. I don't know the specifics but they probably had some springs made for them to go along with their HD shocks.

You have no choice but to use the specially made springs that come with the Hals (note, they are not pressed on). The stock spring will not fit. The ride height is fully adjustable on the front.

You know, you obviously don't know what you are getting into. The new springs rates might not be any good. What type of adjustabilty do you need? More or less low speed rebound or what exactly? Are these the drag only shocks?

You should stick with what you have and save your money. You should already have a much better handling car than stock.

Quick Reply: HAL QA1 + Bilstein question...