Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Stock shocks?

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2005, 01:32 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Stock shocks?

I got a 2000 Camaro SS that I'm fixing to lower 1.5 inches all the way around. My question is can I run the stock shocks and be fine? I could care less about handling so keep that in mind! I just don't want the factory shocks to start squeaking from lowering the car and thats all I'm worried about. If anyone has run factory shocks with lowering springs please let me know if you get any kind of noise from the shocks. Other than I could care less. Any help would be appreciated!
Old 01-07-2005, 01:36 PM
TECH Addict

Factory shocks are junk, and they are even worse when you put them on lowering springs. At a minimum, I would get some Bilstein HDs. You'll be sorry if you don't do shocks, too.
Old 01-07-2005, 01:54 PM
TECH Junkie

Save up and get some better shocks at the same time. I've got KYB GasAJust shocks on mine with the Hotchkis springs and they're OK, but not great. They don't make more noise, but if you like flying up in the air and landing on your shifter over big bumps, then they're the shocks for you. They are a stop-gap solution until I get the chance and money to get some re-valved Bilsteins or the Koni SA front/Bilstein HD rear setup.

-Mike
Old 01-08-2005, 08:16 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

With stock springs, shocks and ride height you are getting on the bumpstops all the time. You just don't notice it too much because it's usually nose dive under braking or entering a driveway sideways that it contacts.

Anyway, it you want to go that low you are going to have to get stiffer springs or else you will be bottoming all the time. The crappy shocks are just too soft to slow the movements thereby making it more likely to bottom out hard.

I would not do it halfway. Save up for springs and shocks and do them together.
Old 01-08-2005, 08:23 AM
Teching In

I have the eibach sportlines and still have my factory WS6 shocks and have had no problems, but if I could do it over I would have got shocks before install, now I am to lazy to do it.......

Quick Reply: Stock shocks?