Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Hal Shocks

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2005, 01:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hal Shocks

I've searched and there seems to be a significant lack of information on these shocks..

I like how much adjustability there is, price and the ability to use aftermarket or qa1 springs

questions i have...

Are they horrible for weekend driving? I want something thats going to be sweet for the drag strip, but if i take it out on the weekend, or on a road trip to a car show at the shore, i dont want to blow it out... I've heard this is a problem with these...

What exactly are they filled with? nitrogen? Oil? i dont want to have an oily shock leaking all over my setup if one blows out..

thanks
Old 01-12-2005, 02:05 PM
10 Second Club

There should be plenty of info, did you put QA1 in the search too. Anyway, I daily drive with mine and have had no issues. I think that they are a perfectly steetable shock. I run "R" series in the front (have a fixed compression rate and an adjustable extension rate) and regulars in the rear. Normally on the street I leave the fronts at "1" and the rears at about "6" and the car rides pretty well. You can use aftermarket or stock style springs with them but you will have to modify the stock spring perches or buy some BMR spring cups to get them to work. I did drive about 60 miles with the rears cranked up to "12" (had a heavy tool box in the back of the car) and they did just fine even on the back roads, they are not leaking or showing any signs that it's time for a rebuilt.

As for price, figure about $800 total with the BMR spring cups. Tbyrne and a few other vendors offer discounts on complete packages. You will have to pick up some grade 8 bolts and some washers (as spacers) for the lower shock mounts in the rear but the fronts are direct bolt ins with factory hardware.
Old 01-12-2005, 02:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

ok sweet. i didnt enter qa1 in my search.. Damn 10.98, thats sweet! someday i would like to get to a good time as that, which is why i want to ditch my sportlines and go with something else...
Old 01-12-2005, 02:39 PM
10 Second Club

High 10s are nothing nowadays. You should find plenty of springs on the market that give you good looks and work half decent at the track. I havn't heard much about the sportlines at the track but I would give them a try, they won't give you much traval in the rear but with drag shocks you should still be able to get some wieght transfer out of them (I would cut the bump stops in half, I've hit mine a couple of times on a hard launch). Are those 18 or 19" wheels you have? I think that might present more of a problem than the springs. Although I've seen vettes running 10s with stock wheels and they have 18s on the rear.
Old 01-12-2005, 02:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

ahha those are just photochooped on, i'm at a dilema with wheels right now, i might be keeping my stock 16" wheels and going with some drag radials, or doing the same thing with zr1's with 11"s in the back, i'm trying to find out what is better for grip, as far as the sportlines, they are purely for looks, they suck, they have a really low spring rate for how low the car is, and i just really dont like them at all, i'd rather buy something new, even if it raises me a little and is still soft.. high 10's are my goal and i dont think it should be to hard to get there, it's just how ahha