Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Difference between Poly bushings and rubber

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2005, 07:27 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Difference between Poly bushings and rubber

I am going to get BMR LCA's and other susupension components for my daily driver. Whats the difference between poly/poly bushings and poly/rubber bushings?? Also since I only see the track autocross and drag about twice a year and ride comfort is one of my top concerns, do I need chromemoly parts? Also what is chromemoly and why is it better? Any help in this would be great. Thanks.
Old 01-18-2005, 10:31 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 5LiterBeater
I am going to get BMR LCA's and other susupension components for my daily driver. Whats the difference between poly/poly bushings and poly/rubber bushings?? Also since I only see the track autocross and drag about twice a year and ride comfort is one of my top concerns, do I need chromemoly parts? Also what is chromemoly and why is it better? Any help in this would be great. Thanks.
The rubber will be quieter and won't be as squeaky as a poly/poly. chromoly is good if your serious about dropping a little weight, as its lighter and stronger. Thats pretty much all I can tell you about that.
Old 01-18-2005, 04:17 PM
Launching!

Thanks for the help. Can anyone else help expand on this stuff??
Old 01-25-2005, 11:28 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd also like to see some opinions.
Old 01-25-2005, 12:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 5LiterBeater
Thanks for the help. Can anyone else help expand on this stuff??
Poly bushings are known to "bind", they use rubber on one end to help eliminate some of this bind by using a bushing that allows more movement. Both control arms will work fine for daily driving and each will give you good ride comfortable. If you are hardcore into auto cross you do not want a poly/poly set up because of the bind and stress it would place on the rear end. In my opinon I thougth the BMR rubber bushings are to soft and you would be better to upgrade into a spherical rod end or bearing combo.

As for the Chrome Moly, Chrome Moly is a material that has a much higher tensile and yeild strength then mild steel, it is widely used in the aircraft industry. It allows you to use thinner wall tubing allowing less weight and still keeping the strength that a thicker mild steel tube carries, or even stronger. From what you said about how you drive, the chrome moly version would just be over kill for your application.
Old 01-26-2005, 11:26 AM
Launching!

Thanks for all the help!!!