Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Replacing steering rack

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2005, 09:03 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Replacing steering rack

Gentlemen, I need to replace my steering rack since I have some play in it and it is causing some issues with my clunking suspension. Do any of you have any advice or should I just let my mechanic do it for $190?

Thanks

B
Old 01-20-2005, 12:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

I installed a new one about 6 months ago and it really wasn't that bad. The bolts that go through the k-member can be a pain sometimes... but its not too bad. If that $190 includes the rack itself and installation... I would let them do it, but if the $190 is for labor I would do it myself.

BTW, what part of Houston do you live in? I think I've seen you're car a couple times near my house.
Old 01-20-2005, 11:10 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's not too hard to replace. 2 lines, 2 tie-rod ends, and 2 bolts. If the engine is not on the k-member...

The tricky part is the bolts won't clear enough to let the rack come out, unless the engine is raised off the k-member a little. So that complicates it.

And you'll probably need an alignment (at least the toe setting) when it's finished, so that's another expense if you go the d-i-y route.
Old 01-20-2005, 01:40 PM
TECH Resident

Thanks for the advice. I live on the west side towards Katy and work on the NW side. I knew an alignment was going to be a necesity since I am going to drop her about an inch anyways. Hope I don't need an adj. PHR for such a small drop. We'll see. I'm going to get started on it next Monday. I have zero experience with hydraulics so if you have any suggestions with that I would appreciate them.

B
Old 01-20-2005, 01:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

nothing to worry about with the hydrolics of it, just have paper towels ready to clean up. then make sure theres fluid in the power steering box when youre done, close it, start the car, open and add accordingly. each time you fill it, cap it off, then get in the car and turn it FULLY to one side then the other, a few times, then get out and check fluid again. this gets all the air bubles out of the lines. good luck!

Quick Reply: Replacing steering rack