Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

question about bleeding brakes...

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2005, 10:25 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default question about bleeding brakes...

i read in my Haynes manual that i cannot bleed the brakes on a car with tcs. that i would need a CAMS tool (tech1 or t-100)? is this true? why would bleeding the brakes mess with the traction control while the car is off? is there a way to get around it? i need to rebuild my frount calipers and put new pads and rotors on. i was going to do all the work myself but this has stopped me cold. thanks
Old 03-04-2005, 10:38 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

As long as you don't let the ABS run dry, you'll be fine. I've flushed the fluid in my TCS car on a few occasions. I just add fluid and pump it through (standard bleeding procedure) until I get fresh fluid out of the bleeder. If the ABS module runs dry or gets air in it, you may require a trip to the dealer to get the air out. When you pull the caliper, I'd do something to "seal" the line to prevent much fluid loss.
Old 03-04-2005, 11:11 AM
Banned

Just do a normal bleed, then take a drive. During the drive get into an ABS event and a traction event. Then bleed again. You will then have fresh fluid through out the system, lines and hydraulic unit.
Old 03-04-2005, 11:15 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Scary stuff.....
During the drive get into an ABS event and a traction event
Old 03-04-2005, 11:29 AM
Banned

Traction event is easy, just stomp on it. ABS isn't too hard either. Most imprtantly, do it some place safe.
Old 03-05-2005, 11:47 PM
Teching In

bleed them furthest to closest. passenger side rear, drivers side rear, passenger side front, drivers side. You shouldn't need a tech tool.

If you don't let the resiviour run down, you really only need to do the line that you are working on. If you haven't changed the fluid in a while, it's probably time to change it anyways.

Quick Reply: question about bleeding brakes...