Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Braking issues

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2005, 01:33 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Braking issues

Guys recently I have Major brake issues. It feels like my brake pedal is a sponge and like i'm only using the front brakes. Also, in the rain my antilock kicks in way b4 it should! My hand brake doen't engadge till almost all the way up and when it does it just LOCKS the rear tires up??? ANY ideas???? PLEASE
Old 04-11-2005, 12:27 AM
Banned

Check pad wear and fluid level. Look for discoloration of the rotor/pad which could be a sign of overheating or more issues on the horizen.
Old 04-13-2005, 01:52 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Do the above as well as this.
Drive for a mile or 2 to get a small amount of heat in the brakes. Then get out and feel the rotors. If the fronts are warm and the rears are still dead cold, then something isn't right with them. The rears are always going to be cooler than the front so try a few heavy stops and then feel. Use caution in case you put too much heat in the fronts.

Or spray the rotors with water and let then sit for a few hours to develop surface rust. Then do one short but quick stop on them and then check to see if the rears are cleaning the sweep area.

It basically sounds like the rears aren't working for some reason. Check like I said and get back to us.
Old 04-13-2005, 06:31 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by JasonWW
Do the above as well as this.
Drive for a mile or 2 to get a small amount of heat in the brakes. Then get out and feel the rotors. If the fronts are warm and the rears are still dead cold, then something isn't right with them. The rears are always going to be cooler than the front so try a few heavy stops and then feel. Use caution in case you put too much heat in the fronts.

Or spray the rotors with water and let then sit for a few hours to develop surface rust. Then do one short but quick stop on them and then check to see if the rears are cleaning the sweep area.

It basically sounds like the rears aren't working for some reason. Check like I said and get back to us.
Wow that is a geat idea!! Thanks for the advice. I'll give it a shot and get back at ya..