Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Reservoir empty please help!

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2005, 09:51 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Reservoir empty please help!

ok, i have a '99 Trans Am with ABS and TSC and i wanted to get the calipers painted. so i jack one side up, (drivers side) and take off both calipers and let the fluid leak into a plactic cup. well i have to wait overnight for the the paint to cure on the calipers so they have been laying outside for about 7 hours. i notice that the brake fluid reservoir is completly empty, i didnt know till about 5 mins ago, (reading some treads on ls1tech.com) that that was a bad thing well what do i do now?? please help do i have to take it to a dealer? i have to be at work tomorrow so any help would be appreciated greatly
Old 04-10-2005, 10:25 PM
TECH Senior Member

Put the calipars back on and get everything back together. Once its all back together fill the reservior up with fluid. Open up both bleeder valves and let the brakes gravity bleed. Just remember to keep an eye on the fluid level and keep it filled. I painted my brakes yesterday and mine got real low. I gravity bleed them and they work great now.
Old 04-10-2005, 11:23 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Try that ... you might get lucky ...
Old 04-10-2005, 11:56 PM
On The Tree

man i hope that works... well ill see in the morning when i put the calipers back on... and i thought spray painting/clear coating was going to be an easy task
Old 04-11-2005, 01:30 AM
On The Tree

ok, paint is cured and i just put the calipers back on along with the brake lines. i also just filled up the reservoir full and have no leaks... so thats a good thing lol, i know how to bleed brakes on non-tcs-abs cars but not on this one. i dont want to screw any chances of not having to go to the dealer that i might have so what should i do next. thank you for the responces should i unscrew the bleed valve at this point? im sorry for the noob questions but this is my baby were taking about
Old 04-11-2005, 01:34 AM
On The Tree

in advance to you saying " i already told you to gravity bleed them NOOB!" lol. so your saying dont touch the brake pedal and just let them bleed or let them bleed on their own then test them with the brake pedal?
Old 04-11-2005, 09:26 AM
TECH Senior Member

Yep thats right. I think it should work I did mine again last night and it worked for me
Old 04-11-2005, 12:29 PM
On The Tree

i just got done bleeding the brakes on all 4 sides. well the back 2 went fine but the front 2 just did not want to pump out the air. i worked on each bleeder for about 20 mins pumping the brake, hold in brake, releasing the bleeder, release brake. i got it the best i could so i took it for the test drive. unless you pump the brakes everytime you go to stop you wont stop so obviously theirs still air in the line. i guess ill just drive it like it is till i get the money to take it to the dealership.
Old 04-11-2005, 12:54 PM
Staging Lane

Another option you have is a Firestone or Goodwrench auto service depending on where you live and how far they are from you.

A decent brake bleed from ASE certified mechanics is hard to come by, but for <$100 it's worth it for your car IMO.
Old 04-11-2005, 10:47 PM
Launching!

Wow, we should hang out. I went to paint my calipers this weekend and everything went to hell with mine too. My bleeder screw was seized shut on my passenger front caliper so i had to limp the car to midas. Cost me $73 after labor, new fluid, and a bleed. Who woulda thought right.
Old 04-12-2005, 04:16 AM
roy
TECH Resident

Are you your bleeder valves pointing up?
Old 04-12-2005, 08:45 AM
TECH Senior Member

hmm, my front brakes gave me problems too but after I gravity bleed them it was all good. I did do the pump, hold, open the bleeder valve to make sure and I didn't have any air after the gravity bleed. I even put in the line lock and did the same thing so I know I had air before the abs block too.
Old 04-12-2005, 01:12 PM
On The Tree

my rear blled valve is pointed up but my front is pointed toward the car. dont worry i didnt got my calipers mixed up lol. ive tried all i can to fix the problem but i just cant get all the air outta the system so i guess ill have to take it to an ASC certified mechanic or a dealer service dept.
Old 04-12-2005, 02:51 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

How long did you let em gravity bleed? I let mine go for about 2 hrs and watched the air slowly escape out of the clear tubing I ran off the bleeders. Eventually it'll all come out. My pedal is great now and I had to start with nothing but air in the lines as I let all the fluid escape while I had all 4 calipers off the car for a few days.
Old 04-12-2005, 11:05 PM
On The Tree

you guys wont believe this ****. i let my car set for about 2 days, driving a seperate car and i took it out for another drive to see if it had gotten worse, IT FIXED ITSELF lol. i had all my brakes, they are perfect now! i didnt even touch the car since my 1st drive.... does this make ANY since????