Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Lowering question

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2005, 09:23 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Question Lowering question

alright i have a question, im going to put a pro kit on my 95 camaro Z. When i do this is there any thing else that i HAVE TO DO?. Im talking like diffrent bushing or something or is it alright just to put the springs on and drive it like it is? thanks

Dont worry about shocks.
Old 04-14-2005, 11:57 AM
TECH Resident

Well...most likely the springs are stock. So that means that most likely all of the hardware is stock. An almost 10 year old car...i mean it's kind of an obvious answer. If you're going to do one, do the other. And i know i am not the only one on this board that will tell you that it is not a good idea to install a Prokit with stock springs...but it's your car. Hope some of this helped. I believe that most will agree and say the same thing as me.
Old 04-14-2005, 04:21 PM
TECH Junkie

At the bare minimum, I would suggest an adjustable panhard rod, because your rear axle is almost guaranteed to be off-center. As soon as you can, I would also purchase LCA relocation brakcets to correct the geometry of your LCA's. If you're dead-set against getting shocks right now, fine, but bear in mind you will wear the stock shock out faster on higher-rate springs and your ride will suffer.

-Mike
Old 04-15-2005, 12:05 AM
Launching!

how much is the panhard rod going to run me and how hard to install, where do i get it from?
Old 04-15-2005, 12:11 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Default Lowering question

Most likely when you go to take the front struts out of the front springs, they will be rusted and you will strip the nut on the shaft trying to get it off. Since you are investing in new springs, spend a little more and replace the struts/shocks. Believe me, like others above have said, you will be glad you did.
Old 04-15-2005, 06:49 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by 95camaroz28
how much is the panhard rod going to run me and how hard to install, where do i get it from?

The install is ridiculously easy (two bolts), but getting it dialed in just right might take a little time. It took me about 30 minutes, though. http://www.installuniversity.com has an excellent write-up. You can get one from any number of sponsors, and it should be in the $100-120 range.

-Mike
Old 04-18-2005, 04:15 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

A lot of folks end up breaking the shock bolts or cutting them to get them off. Here's what my 99 TA looked like:

If you have new shocks, then good. What's the details?

Also, you might want to replace the front sway bar endlinks with new poly ones. They tend to be rusty and break as well. Autozone carries Energy Suspension and is usually in stock.

If you have 315 rear tires, then an adjustable PHR is needed. If stock 275 size, skip it. Relocation brackets can be added later if needed.

Of course a front end alignment. Make sure you have a place that does lowered cars. I had to hunt around because a lot of places wouldn't do a lowered car. I used a Firestone Service Center.

Quick Reply: Lowering question