Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Got An Official Opinion!

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2005, 05:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Got An Official Opinion!

Here is what I was wanting a reply to:

Right now all I have are BMR SFC's and STB, and a Tunnel Brace. The front of my car is 6 inches from the ground due to the front gfx, and the tunnel brace is around 4 inches off the ground at the transmission. This car will probably never see the track, but I would like to do some suspension work, lowering a little if possible, for daily driving just to make the ride a little more enjoyable and to complement my 19's. What would you all suggest? My ground clearance has me worried on shocks/springs b/c I still want to be able to drive it. I would like to do away w/ wheel hop also in case I do venture out to the strip. Thanks.

What Sam Strano said:

Chris,

I'd recommend the Koni shocks to you. First, you'll see a HUGE improvement in the way the car rides and drives. But also important in your case, they allow you to lower the car slightly while keeping the stock springs. The result is you don't end up slammed on the ground, or with a brick stiff ride.

The use of the Koni's to lower will drop the front of the car about 3/4", and the rear approximately 1/2" or so. Beyond this option, you are into a minimum of 1" drop springs, which do cause problems with cars that have the ground effects.

Pictures of the car can be seen here:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/wheels-tires/308363-19-evo-s-sgm-ss.html

What do you all think?
Old 04-21-2005, 05:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

i guess it depends on where you drive......i have my car lowered two inches with sportlines and kyb shocks and the dsl and exhaust is pretty close to the ground but i drive the car up an alley into my garage and don't have too much of a problem.....i even have a edlebrock non adj torque arm and ran a 12.5 last year before my tc install with no hop.....those wheels are already gonna roughen your ride though, and with the ground effects i would just do a mild drop......
btw sam's a good guy to deal with, great service and prices
Old 04-22-2005, 05:00 AM
TECH Fanatic

Do you all think this would be much better than revalved Bilsteins/Hotchkis springs?
Old 04-22-2005, 07:51 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by BoneSS
The use of the Koni's to lower will drop the front of the car about 3/4", and the rear approximately 1/2" or so.
How would Koni's lower the vehicle? I suppose I could see it being feasible in the front, but I can't envision how shocks alone would affect the rear ride height.
Old 04-22-2005, 07:58 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Fulton 1
How would Koni's lower the vehicle? I suppose I could see it being feasible in the front, but I can't envision how shocks alone would affect the rear ride height.
The front shock has 2 mounting perch locations. One is factory height, one is almost 1" lower. You lower the perch and lower the car.

The rear is simple. Just remove the isolator and put a section of heater hose on the top coil of the spring (to act as an isolator) and that will lower the rear.

Piece of cake.
Old 04-22-2005, 09:45 AM
TECH Senior Member

I agree with Sam. Koni would be the best way to go if you are worried. I went with a set of BMR springs since I was a little worried. I haven't had a problem with scraping yet. I have Koni SAs too.
Old 04-22-2005, 10:03 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by trackbird
The front shock has 2 mounting perch locations. One is factory height, one is almost 1" lower. You lower the perch and lower the car.

The rear is simple. Just remove the isolator and put a section of heater hose on the top coil of the spring (to act as an isolator) and that will lower the rear.

Piece of cake.
Got it. I figured that the front had to do with the perches, but didn't understand how the shock alone could affect the rear, but obviously removing the isolator would do it. Thanks for the clarification.
Old 04-22-2005, 03:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Do you all think that would be enough of a drop--shocks only--to give the car the correct look also?
Old 04-22-2005, 08:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

I would say, ditch the tunnel brace for something like the Lakewood or Spohn, since that is basically your main clearance problem. I agree going with Koni's, but lowering the car with Koni's....I dont know. It may give you a raked look, and not a balanced look. I would say, a one inch drop and Koni's, since thats my plan .

Trackbird-can you post a pic of the *perches*?
Old 04-22-2005, 09:04 PM
TECH Senior Member

I was worried that my BMR springs would be too much but after it was done it was just right. If you are worried I would just go with the shocks 1st. Once you get them in and see how it looks go from there. Better to be safe than sorry. The drop is more than you think. I didn't expect much but once it was done I thought Wow thats low.
Old 04-22-2005, 11:13 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by psykoTA
Trackbird-can you post a pic of the *perches*?

I don't have one, sorry. I'm running Koni DA's and they don't get the second "perch" location in the front, just the SA's. If you look at any front shock from a 4th gen, you'll see a "snap ring" that the mount for the spring sits on. The Koni SA's have two slots for that ring. The top one is stock height, the second one (roughly 3/4", give or take) lower on the body will lower the front of the car.
Old 04-23-2005, 10:17 AM
TECH Senior Member

I'll see if I can get pics of the perch. I'll take off one of the wheels and snap a few pics when I wash up the car.
Old 04-23-2005, 10:45 AM
TECH Resident

i have the same body kit as you and i have eibach 1.4 all around with bilsteins and i think she sits almost perfect.
Old 04-23-2005, 12:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Any pics? What do you all think of something like revalved bilsteins/hotshkis springs over this setup?

Quick Reply: Got An Official Opinion!