Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Opinions Here Please

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2005, 10:30 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Opinions Here Please

I'm just curious if anyone out there is running 3rd gen. Bilsteins out back.
If so, what spring rates do you have with them and an overall impression of them.

I believe they are valved a bit softer, correct? Basically, I want a non-adjustable shock out back w/the 1le spring.

The car is all stock, but will be adding new moog bushings to the sway bar and possibly the lca's. I've searched around but didn't see anyone who has really used them. Maybe I just missed them. Any suggestions would be appreciated. I basically do mostly city driving, but I don't mind the stiffness of a good shock.
Old 05-04-2005, 12:25 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

I run them with Eibach Pro's right now, but have G2 Super Springs going in this weekend ( 180lb-230lb progressive rear ). They are fine with the Eibach's, and I'm sure they will be great with the G2's. Call Sam Strano at stranoparts.com to get a decent answer. He's a vendor here too.
Old 05-04-2005, 04:10 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 143 Likes on 93 Posts

3rd gen shocks are not softer than 4th gen shocks. They will damp a 1LE spring, but I'd sooner recommend one of the Koni shocks (and some Koni's can be had for not much more than the Bilstein's) since the Koni's are adjustable and 1LE springs range from about 10-45% stiffer than 3rd gen springs do. The Koni's have extra damping built in should you need it or want it. And neither the 3rd nor 4th gen shock was valved with 1LE spring rates in mind. We do use the 3rd gen shock on some 1LE's that autocross with stock springs because they tend to help the axle hop under braking, but for more high speed uses the Koni again would be my choice.

Viper, Pay attention to the shock setup. I'm going to be very curious what you think since you are pretty much doubling the spring rate you have at times, and your new springs are starting out stiffer than a 1LE spring ever gets...... I forsee a possible lack of rebound control. So keep me posted.
13 SCCA Pro Solo Nationals Championships
2023 UMI King of the Mountain Champion
Old 05-05-2005, 10:24 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No one else got 3rd gen bilsteins out there? I know koni's are the best but my money is tightly pressed in my wallet and my stock springs are also still in good shape, so I'm not set on using the 1le's in the rear. HD's for about 300 are appealing also.