Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

!front swaybar

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2005, 08:56 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by NHRATA01

Even when I had the stockers on there, its not THAT bad - still better than say, an SUV or a Buick. You just have to be aware of it and not take the corners as quick.
HEY HEY HEY!!! watch it on the buick comments

ok, so your right, you guys who think it's rough guiding an f-body without a swaybar, try taking a corner above 15mph in this:
Old 05-20-2005, 01:19 PM
11 Second Club

You can't compare taking corners with now front swaybar to how it would handle in an emergency situation. All you're doing is gradually turning. Sure, the car will lean a little but still stick to the road. Try jerking the wheel the other way while you do this. As soon as you do the car will lose control. Don't believe me? I would like to think that I'm a good driver, but with no front sway bar, I put my car in the ditch trying to swerve around something. I sure as hell didn't do anything wrong either, the front tires just lost their grip. I'm not talking about a huge jerk either, this was a manuever that could have easily been done if I would have had the front bar in. I don't know how you guys can be so confident in your car with no bar, but I know that with MY car, it's not safe.
Old 05-20-2005, 01:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Raptor99
You can't compare taking corners with now front swaybar to how it would handle in an emergency situation. All you're doing is gradually turning. Sure, the car will lean a little but still stick to the road. Try jerking the wheel the other way while you do this. As soon as you do the car will lose control. Don't believe me? I would like to think that I'm a good driver, but with no front sway bar, I put my car in the ditch trying to swerve around something. I sure as hell didn't do anything wrong either, the front tires just lost their grip. I'm not talking about a huge jerk either, this was a manuever that could have easily been done if I would have had the front bar in. I don't know how you guys can be so confident in your car with no bar, but I know that with MY car, it's not safe.
there is no question that a front bar will improve handling, but how much do you need? the reason i'm confident is because i've been driving it without one and it handles fine, even in the few emergency situations it's seen...i know what the car can and cannot do.....you have to know your cars limits and hope for the best in an emergency.......obviously your car wasn't ready for whatever you ran into, but if you worry about everything that could happen you should be driving a bubble wrapped accord.....but to each their own, if everyone wanted their car to handle the same you wouldn't see half of the sponsors we have.....
Old 05-20-2005, 04:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by jdustu
there is no question that a front bar will improve handling, but how much do you need? the reason i'm confident is because i've been driving it without one and it handles fine, even in the few emergency situations it's seen...i know what the car can and cannot do.....you have to know your cars limits and hope for the best in an emergency.......obviously your car wasn't ready for whatever you ran into, but if you worry about everything that could happen you should be driving a bubble wrapped accord.....but to each their own, if everyone wanted their car to handle the same you wouldn't see half of the sponsors we have.....
Hope for the best in an emergency? That's the dumbest thing I've ever heard. You're purposely reducing the handling capabilities of your vehicle for a reason that's totally unneeded on the street and then you're just going to hope for the best if a 5 year old kid jumps out in front of you?

The swaybar helps to control the camber by reducing body roll. Without that camber control helping to keep the tire's contact patch square on the ground, the tire will roll to the outside and you're going to wind up pushing hard.

Yes. The car will be ok for daily, normal driving. However, in that one life or death instance in a million you might encounter you've put yourself at a serious disadvantage. It's just crazy to take a chance like that, even as remote as it is, on a suspension component that takes 10 MINUTES to remove/install.

Knowing your car's limits is certainly useful for driving like an *** on the street. In an emergency situation, you typically aren't given a whole hell of a llot of options OR a lot of time. Knowing your car isn't going to play NEARLY as big of a part in such a situation as what your car is capable of would.
Old 05-21-2005, 12:57 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by pimpmaro
If you have Eibach lowering springs... why the hell would you pull the front swaybar anyway? You've already modified your suspension in a way that's not ideal for drag racing...
every little bit helps
Old 05-21-2005, 01:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by pimpmaro
Hope for the best in an emergency? That's the dumbest thing I've ever heard. You're purposely reducing the handling capabilities of your vehicle for a reason that's totally unneeded on the street and then you're just going to hope for the best if a 5 year old kid jumps out in front of you?

The swaybar helps to control the camber by reducing body roll. Without that camber control helping to keep the tire's contact patch square on the ground, the tire will roll to the outside and you're going to wind up pushing hard.

Yes. The car will be ok for daily, normal driving. However, in that one life or death instance in a million you might encounter you've put yourself at a serious disadvantage. It's just crazy to take a chance like that, even as remote as it is, on a suspension component that takes 10 MINUTES to remove/install.

Knowing your car's limits is certainly useful for driving like an *** on the street. In an emergency situation, you typically aren't given a whole hell of a llot of options OR a lot of time. Knowing your car isn't going to play NEARLY as big of a part in such a situation as what your car is capable of would.
i completely disagree i the last part.......i've been in more than one situation with more than one vehicle that required instant reaction, and a good driver always has what his car can and cannot do stored up there somwhere, even if it's not completely in his conscience. it obviously isn't gonna always turn out as you'd like.....you are asuming too much thinking i am talking about driving like an *** on the street, this knowledge is something way too many people overlook in obtaining for use in everday driving....

as far as why take the chance: why drive a muscle car at all? why drive a suv? why drive any vehicle that is compromised in any way to offer any benifits other than complete and utter safety/visibility/handling/ect. on the street? it's not worth the chance is it?

Quick Reply: !front swaybar