Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Bottoming Out ?

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2005, 04:29 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bottoming Out ?

I have an '02 M6, with about 345 RWHP; SFCs, poly bushings most everywhere except the transmission....When I launch as hard as I can, and when I shift 1-2 at red line... it really sounds and feels like my rear suspension is bottoming out. I'm getting great traction, with very little slip (335x17 Nitto 555Rs). It seems to be worse with more weight in the car, but I'm not 100% sure of that. I am more interested in drag racing, than road racing setup.

1) Could I be bottoming out (at my power level) ? If so,
- what would be a cheap fix?
- what would be the best fix?
If I'm not bottoming out, what do you think the massive clunk I hear and feel is ?

Eventually, like in a year or so - I want heads/cam/clutch/rear end - 450 RWHP.

Thanks for any help!
Old 05-23-2005, 08:44 AM
On The Tree

I've heard that people can use an air bag on the back passenger side wheel to prevent that from happening.
Old 05-27-2005, 01:04 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you still have the little metal spacers above the rear bumpstops, take them out. They limit useful rear wheel travel. What color are the bumpstops, yellow? If so, those are the good ones.

You have a few choices.

A cheap fix, would be to increase the rear spring rates.

A really cheap fix would be to add one or 2 metal spacers to the rear springs. The downside is that it will increase the rear ride height a little. http://gmocart2.gmotion.com/store/me...ing_suspension

Install 2 of these in each rear spring. Just lift from the body to get the springs in full droop, install in the middle area 180* apart making sure they will not rub the body. Check the ride height. The weight of the car will keep them in place. Try them for a day. Do a few launches. If the problem goes away, you found the culprit. If the lift is too much, take one out. They work great, just get the smaller sized ones that says for the front. Just ignore that as they work fine on the rear springs. If after all that, you still don't like them, take them out and you will be $5 poorer. No big deal.

A more costly fix might be to move to some better rear shocks. The factory ones are way too soft and have trouble controlling the cars body movements.
Old 05-28-2005, 01:20 AM
Staging Lane

I thought I was bottoming out too, but now I think differently....

Take a read.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/suspension-brakes/315910-loud-hard-clunk.html
Old 05-29-2005, 11:10 PM
On The Tree

i have that same problem with my pro-kit
Old 05-30-2005, 12:59 AM
Staging Lane

Thanks for the replies guys. I put an airbag in the passeger side. I'm still installing my line lock and more prothane bushings, but I'll post the results of the airbag.

Quick Reply: Bottoming Out ?