Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Need advice on Eibach

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2005, 06:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Need advice on Eibach

Okay… I've been considering getting the Eibach lowering springs for a long time now and I still haven't made up my mind. I'm concerned about ride quality and clearance. My SS is my daily driver and I don't want to give up any ride quality (I'd actually like to gain some) and I don't want to have to worry everytime I pull into a driveway whether or not my Corsa tips are gonna drag. I'm sure it would look great but, I need some feedback from somebody who's already got 'em. I'm thinking 1.25" in the front and 1.5" in the rear. I need some opinions on appearance, and somebody's experience with actually living with them on a daily basis How's the ride? Does the car ever scrub?

(My SS as is)
Old 06-27-2005, 07:03 PM
Launching!

I got the eibachs(alot of people will bash)1.5" drop...ya you scrape here and there,but the ride isnt bad...I like it over stock...looks better...just slow down for bumps,RR tracks and any other ruff terain.
Old 06-27-2005, 10:28 PM
Staging Lane

was up man, I the pro kit on my 98 SS and i have to admit I dont like it all, the ride is too rough and the back end sags, If I were u I would consider spending your money on other type of springs
Old 06-28-2005, 08:45 AM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks for the feedback guys. Anybody else? The more the better.
Old 06-28-2005, 09:23 AM
On The Tree

I've heard good things about Hotchkis and DMS springs.
Old 06-28-2005, 01:58 PM
TECH Junkie

My experience:

Hotchkis springs with KYB GasAJust shocks will lower about 1.25" and the ride (notice, I don't say HANDLING) is equal, if not marginally better than a stock Z28. This is on a daily driver.

If you plan to upgrade your exhaust, take into consideration that you will likely lose ground clearance with new y-pipe, especially if you get a catted y-pipe.

Boxed subframe connectors, when properly installed, should only lose you about 1/2" to 3/4" of ground clearance. I have UMI's on mine and they tuck up VERY nicely. I mention this because the subject has been debated TO DEATH in this forum.

When you drive around town now, do you scrape anywhere? If the answer is "yes", prepare to lose the paint on the front of your nose. I am looking into getting mine repainted and covered with the 3M clear bra stuff, but at the moment it looks like hell. I have found that there are two spots that scrape: the nose and the y-pipe. I don't think you will need to worry about your exhaust tips.

Speed bumps are the enemy.

-Mike
Old 06-28-2005, 02:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I have the pro-kit on my 02 SS and the ride was way better. The key is getting properly valved shocks to work with them. I ordered mine with specially valved shocks per Sam Strano specs. That being said, I hated the way the rear sagged. I ended up going through 3 sets of rear springs and now I have linear ground control springs with adjustable perches so I can adjust the ride height. My car rides, handles, and looks awesome now.
Old 06-28-2005, 03:38 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I can't stand my Pro Kit or the SLP Eibachs . . . rear springs are just way to soft and saggy . . .
Old 06-28-2005, 07:13 PM
TECH Regular

I hated my Pro-kit that I had on my 99. As mentioned earlier, the rear springs sag and bottom out easily. I had Bilstein shocks also.

I now have the Hotchkis springs and absolutely love them. They ride so much better and IMO would be way better for a DD because you won't scrape as much either.
Old 07-05-2005, 11:17 AM
TECH Fanatic

Anybody else have Hotchkis springs? And, what increments do they come in, as far as drop goes.
Old 07-05-2005, 06:17 PM
Banned

I never thought the Prokit ride was bad. It got better when I installed SFC's. Yeah it's going to be a bit firmer, but that's what happens when you decrease suspension travel. The Prokit will give you the drop in inches that you want though. Cornering ability was dramatically improved. I could turn hard enough to damn near fly out of the seat.

Quick Reply: Need advice on Eibach