Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Weird problem

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2005 | 02:02 PM
On The Tree

Default Weird problem

long story short.....I have a 98 camaro....The car will kinda sway when I change lanes. It is hard to describe but I feels like both of the back tires are almost flat.....It just feels real loose like your gonna loose it.....I thought I just had some bald tires so I replaced all four.....That was not it.....The other day (before I changed the tires) I was on I-95 and it started to rain. Knowing I had bald tires I slowed down to 40 mph.......I was driving in the middle lane and the car just went sideways, I mean completely sideways. In fact I corrected so hard back to the left that I hit the wheel lock. Thank God I was able to save it. It just jumped sideways...no hydoplane, nothing. The car feels like this everyday, even when it is dry......just not as bad. I have no idea why the car is doing this. Any ideas?? Thanks
Old 06-28-2005 | 02:04 PM
On The Tree

Please help before I total this thing!!!!!
Old 06-28-2005 | 03:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

First of all, stop driving it if it's dangerous.

Have you inspected the suspension to ensure that all the parts are attached correctly and in good health? If not, that's the very first step to take. Check your PHB, LCAs, rear sway bar, SFCs if you have them, and other things like that. That's at least a start.
Old 06-28-2005 | 11:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Take the car to the nearest shop with a lift and find out what the #@$% is going on under there. Don't play Russian Roulette with a 3600lb time bomb. You may not want to know what's wrong with it once its too late.
It could be yours or somebody else's life you're playing with.
Old 06-29-2005 | 10:33 AM
On The Tree

It is going in the shop monday....I looked under the car the best that I could....the is nothing loose that can see....nothing jumps out at me....sway bar, shocks, etc....With my work sch its so hard to get my car in the shop.........this is the weirdest problem I have ever had with a car...I even checked the lugnuts on the car.....I thought I may have a wheel about to fly off.....that should tell you how bad the car feels...lol..they were all thight.. If you shake the car back and forth or drive hard into a corner the car feels normal....no play in the wheel, nothing........very strange.
Old 06-29-2005 | 05:50 PM
On The Tree

Has anyone else had a problem like this? Any other idea's as to what to look for?
Old 07-03-2005 | 01:50 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Sounds like some type alighnment problem, one wheel pulling opposite of another, front pulling opposite of rear etc. Could also come from frame damage if vehicle has ever been wrecked. Rear tires could be going in one direction and fronts another, also check lower control arms to see if they are bent.