Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

ABS help!!

Old 08-12-2005, 07:02 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation ABS help!!

Ever since i bought the car i've been having trouble with the brakes, this problem isn't all the time, it comes and goes, but its there alot, what happens is I go to brake and the pedal instead of being soft, is really hard, and when this happens it takes a lot longer to stop, and just before i come to a complete stop i feel the abs kick on, its real weird, and when this occurs at high speeds it would suck if i had to stop quickly, sometimes when its doing this the pedal will just get soft again, i have no idea whats going on, but yesterday to make sure it was the abs, I took out all the fuses for the abs and the problem hasn't came back, I know nothing about abs so I don't even know where to look for a problem, and something else i noticed is that the abs inop light never comes on, not even during startup and not when I took the abs fuses out, and the brake light also never comes on, i find this all really strange that both these lights would be out. Something has to be going on here, i just dont know what. Oh and the car is a 2000 ws6, I dont know if this would make a difference but the guy before me put on drilled/slotted rotors and stainless steel brake lines. Thanks, Nick
Old 08-12-2005, 10:36 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's possible you're having problems with the front wheel speed sensors. One may be reading incorrectly due to damage, connector contamination, or just a failed sensor. This would cause the ABS to kick in, and may dramatically increase your stopping distances. Unfortunately the front wheel speed sensors are integrated into the front wheel bearing assemblies, so a failure of the sensor requires replacement of the whole bearing/flange assembly. They're around $150 from GM. Does your car have TCS?
Old 08-14-2005, 01:51 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

no i dont have TCS, but what i'm curious about now is why my abs inop light, my brake, low coolant light the hatch open light all don't go on during the bulb test on start up??

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: ABS help!!