Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Help!! Installing Brakes

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2005, 08:53 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help!! Installing Brakes

I installed the front brakes no probelm took about 45-hr

then the back brakes took the caliper off, the old pads out, the rotor, the new rotor in.

How the F. do I get the back calper to fit over the rotor, the caliper is already pushed back, secondly how do these pads go in there dif from the front they have little metal clips that swing unlike the front brakes.

Plz Help.
Old 08-22-2005, 11:51 AM
TECH Apprentice

OK after you have the caliper on you should install the pad bracket, the "U" shaped piece that came off, torque those bolts to 74 lbs/ft. There are 2, what I refer to, as rattle clips, when clean they look like they are brass. These clip into the pad bracket, there are notches in the bracket to hold them in, although sometimes they will fall out. These help hold the pads in while you install the caliper. Install the pads into the bracket. Did you remember to compress the pistons in the caliper? That may be why you can't get it over the new pads. OK the pad that has a small metal clip welded to the side of it goes to the inside of the car, the one without to the outside. After compressing the caliper it should just slide over the new pads and rotor. Put the bolts in it, APPLY LOC-TITE, and torque to 23lbs/ft. If you have trouble compressing the caliper, don't force it, you could force fluid back into the system that may be polluted. Open the bleed valve slightly and then compress, the fluid will run out as you compress. After that close up the valve and continue working. Don't forget to bleed your brake syystem. And if you need a little more help try: http://www.installuniversity.com/ins...sity/index.htm
click on the link on the side that says install documents and go to the brakes section.
Old 08-22-2005, 01:26 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What year model? Sounds like it is brakes prior to 98 ...
Old 08-22-2005, 03:58 PM
Staging Lane

Thank you for spending time writing that up for me, I already had the piston pushed back, but on one of the brake pads there was a little stub, that made it impossible to fit even with the piston pushed back, I grinded it off and now it works.

Stupid duralast pads, ya mitchnx its a 96