Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

brakes

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2005, 09:56 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default brakes

ok my car needs new rotors and pads, i want something better than stock but i dont want to pay out the A$$ what sugestions do you have. Sloted would be nice i dont want crossdrilled tho
Old 08-22-2005, 10:18 PM
TECH Apprentice

Well if you want to really up it, you can do what I did. iRotors front and rear with Axxis pads, and I used the LG Motorsports C5 brake conversion on the front and Earl's braided steel lines. My car stops on a dime now, has zero brake fade and even rides and handles better. The handling opinion being seconded by my wife who said it as soon as she got in the car after the install. I did all the work myself and I think I came in just under 1000$, thats with brake cleaner, a c-clamp, and paint, and some other odds and ends.
Old 08-22-2005, 10:45 PM
Launching!

i dont think i want to go that far out just pads and rotors btw i dont want brake dust
Old 08-23-2005, 03:31 PM
TECH Resident

Unfortnately dust and performance brake pads go hand in hand. Something has to give.

If this is your daily driver, and you don't auto-x or do lapping days, get some OE pads. I however like Hawk pads, but they do dust a bit.

Change your fluid and get some SS lines.

Nothing more.

slotted or drilled OE sized rotors for a street car are absurd and have no benefit.

EDIT: you guys have one of the better FAQ's I've seen on brakes. Read it and learn.
Old 08-23-2005, 03:35 PM
Launching!

yah i need to change my fluid, is it hard to flush out the system? also i was looking for cermaic(sp?) pads, what type of rotors ac delco? are what ppl are saying
Old 08-23-2005, 03:39 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by WS6GoFast
yah i need to change my fluid, is it hard to flush out the system? also i was looking for cermaic(sp?) pads, what type of rotors ac delco? are what ppl are saying

It's cake to change fluid, it's better to have a second hand though to push the peddle while you run around opening up valves to bleed each caliper.

As for rotors, you should see if they are still within spec and get em re-surfaced. However there is nothing wrong with AC Delco replacements, or even some of the cryo treated ones you find for a marginal premium. They supposedly last longer....

Okay I'm going back to my little truck world.
Old 08-23-2005, 04:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

unredeemed, thanks on the brake faq comments, I'm sure our fearless leader will appreciate that. He spent quite a bit of time putting it together.

For rotors, try the autozone rotors, they're quite cheap and some people on here beat them absolutely stupid with no ill effects. Regarding cryo treating, I haven't heard any concrete evidence that it helps, but I recall reading a study that while the structure of the metal changed after cryo treating (under an electron microscope), the heat generated by braking reverted the metal's structure to how it was before cryo treating.