Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

help with the clunk!

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2005, 10:38 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help with the clunk!

O2 f body with 12 bolt, bmr lower cntrls, sfc, umi trq arm, new steel drive shaft (balanced with new u-joints). The car has bad vibration when under a load at about 70, and lots of slop somewhere in the drivetrain. The slop causes a "clunk" any time there is frequent bumps or when I lightly tap on the g-pedal. Had someone look at the rearend when I make it do it and they said the rear end was jumping around but it was not w-hop. local speed shop is hell bent on it being too much backlash in the gear set, that might be the vibration, but that does not xpl the clunk. any sugg. would be greatly app.
Old 09-06-2005, 12:05 AM
On The Tree

It may be coming from the Lower control arms are the bolts tightend to 72 ft/lbs? If so you may try tightinging them alittle more to like 90 ft/lbs. When did this start? Did you do all the mods at the same time?
Old 09-06-2005, 04:40 AM
On The Tree

Very important---- break those LCA's loose and RE-TORQUE THEM with the weight ON the car.
Old 10-02-2005, 08:54 PM
9 Second Club

And that clunk can be the backlash... it is the driveshaft causing the slopy feeling due to the excessive backlash. I am having the same problem and I am hopping that I will have it fixed this weekend