Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Backwards line lock

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2005, 10:46 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Backwards line lock

I was wondering if I could install a linelock to hold the pressure off the rear brakes insted of holding the pressure on the fronts. That way I could control the front brakes independently of the rears allowing my car to speed up or slow down during burnouts and other showing out
Thanks
Old 09-07-2005, 11:54 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A solenoid doesn't work like that nor is it intended to work as you're describing.

The only reason why a line lock is used is to heat your tires up, save your rear brakes and driveline from over-stress...and keep your car controlled and stationary during the whole process.
Old 09-11-2005, 01:06 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by steve10
A solenoid doesn't work like that nor is it intended to work as you're describing.
No, but, I think it can.
I've seen stunt drivers use a line lock to prevent pressure from going to the front brakes so that they could push a button and then slide the rear of the car around using the regular foot pedal.

In your case I think you want to install the line lock to the rear brakes and hit the button to block fluid going to the rear and then control only the front brakes with the pedal, right?

Assuming the solenoid just basically blocks the pressure, it should work even though it wasn't meant to do that. You may be asking for trouble though. I would do a lot of research before attemping it. In my opinion, it doesn't look like it's worth the effort and expense.
Old 09-11-2005, 08:12 AM
FormerVendor

I read it as he was trying to turn it around, not installing it on the rear brakes. I suppose if you wanted to run one on the rear brakes you could. Not sure what good it would be to hold pressure on your rear brakes unless. The line lock wouldn't work differntly since it holds pressure after the brakes are applied. Most will bleed pressure through acting like a one-way valve as pressure is applied.

A proportioning valve on the front brakes seems more appropriate if all that is wanted is to lock rear brakes before the fronts...they too are not typically used this way...seems like just using the emergency brake would work easier. Using an adjustable proportioning valve on the front would allow incrementally decreased pressure up to ~57%.

For example, if 1500psi's are applied with the proportioning valve set to the max 57%, the rear would see ~1500, the fronts would see 855psi. Certainly at this point the rears would lock far before the fronts putting the car into a spin when brakes are applied. ABS would need to be disabled as it would constantly try to compensate for wheels locking.
Old 09-11-2005, 01:03 PM
TECH Senior Member

I still think you are missing his intended purpose. He would not keep pressure on the rear brakes, he would activate the solenoid first and THEN apply the brake pedal. This will send pressure only to the fronts. When not activated, the brakes would work normally. No need for proportioning valves.
Old 09-11-2005, 05:11 PM
TECH Senior Member

He's wanting to block the rear pressure (keeping the brakes "off") and be able to use the pedal to stop, or slowly let the car roll while doing a burnout (this is how you might leave a 500 foot set of burnout marks).

I'd not consider this to be a safe idea. I am certain the valve wasn't designed for this use and would contact the manufacturer for their thoughts before attempting such a thing. My other concern is if you forget to turn it off (on?) and a car pulls out in front of you with no rear brakes, you may wind up in a nasty spin or worse. So, I'd probably suggest passing on the idea. But that's just my thoughts.
Old 09-11-2005, 05:14 PM
TECH Senior Member

I would assume you would have to hold the button to activate the solenoid.
Old 09-11-2005, 05:52 PM
FormerVendor

Yea, not sure of his intended purpose...whatever it is, it certainly isn't conventional. I see what he's trying to say now.

The problem is most solenoids bleed pressure through the valve even if you energize the line lock solenoid before you apply brakes...that's why I mentioned it before. Maybe I wasn't clear enough. Most will not hold pressure from building up to the lines that it is connected to...similar to how a diode works in a circuit.
Old 09-11-2005, 11:14 PM
On The Tree

I've decided to just go with the regular style of linelock, because I dont want to screw any thing up.
Old 09-12-2005, 12:30 AM
FormerVendor

I think that is a good choice.

Let me know if you need any assistance. We have a large variety of designs regarding line lock kits for your car.

Steve
Old 09-12-2005, 12:01 PM
On The Tree

I ordered one from yall on friday. Thanks
Old 09-12-2005, 12:11 PM
FormerVendor

Ahh ok. I don't know folks nicknames on here and don't reference them to orders. I'm sure if it was ordered early on friday, it shipped out the same day. We typically ship w/in 24 hours for many of our products.

You should have tracking information by now with the e-mail account you ordered from, if you never received it. Let me know and I will look it up.

I feel comfident you will be pleased with our products. If you have any install questions before, during or after, let me know and I will be happy to assist you.

Thank you for your order,

Steve

Quick Reply: Backwards line lock