Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Welding Subframes

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2005, 01:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Welding Subframes

i have the slp bolt - on subframes right now, i did not go with the weld-ins because i did not want some hack welding objects to my car.
we just got a welder here at work, and i feel comfortable with the tech that does the work on my car to weld them in.

the weld-in ones need to be painted, correct ?? so the ones i have should not need to be painted or anything right ? maybe some POR-15 but nothing other than that right ??

ok, so one more thing, they should be welded where the "bolts" are, correct ??

not in the holes but around the flat plate,

pictures anyone ??
Old 10-19-2005, 01:49 PM
Launching!

i got weldins and they were already powdercoated..
Old 10-19-2005, 03:15 PM
Staging Lane

Are you welding on the bolt-ons? If so, you should use a wire feed for the thin metal that makes up our frames. On the front section, you should run a nice bead along the long boxed section, don't just weld up the bolt holes. Also, make sure you remove the paint or powdercoat to get a good clean surface. And yes, paint the welds almost immediately afterwards because the heat from the weld will evaporate the water out of the paint and create a nice corrosion res. surface. Also, don't weld on one section for too long. Weld a bead on one side of the car, move to the opposite side of the car and weld a bead, then go to the rear and do the same. You should run about 3 beads per corner of the frame. The object is not to heat the frame up so much that you burn your carpet.
Old 10-19-2005, 07:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

thanks for the info

Quick Reply: Welding Subframes