Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Advice Needed ASAP

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2005 | 02:37 PM
Staging Lane

Default Advice Needed ASAP

I am doing a huge school project. Putting new brakes on my '99 TA is what I am doing. Right now, I have the ordering page up from TireRack's website.

I have Brembo slotted rotors and Hawk HPS pads(on the order page). I have to do a 5-7 page research paper on the subject, and most of my info has come from here (thanks) . I do understand that plain rotors are the best performing, but I doubt I will ever see any AutoX or extremely hard braking more than once or twice. I also do not drive this car everyday. The Drilled rotors offered by TireRack are not guaranteed not to crack, so that is why I chose slotted. Since I have some Corvette Y2K wheels on the car, I need new, bigger rotors and slots will add a little variation in looks.

So, before I order, are there any last words that I NEED to know before I "screw up?" T

Thanks in advance,
Derek
Old 10-22-2005 | 03:04 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator
20 Year Member

If you are buying bigger rotors (ex: Corvette 13" rotors instead of the stock 12"), you'll at least need relocation brackets to move the calipers outward (I'm not sure what else, diff pads/caliper?). Otherwise the larger rotors will not fit. Do a search on the Corvete brake conversion/updgrage and you'll find plenty more info on that subject.
Old 10-22-2005 | 03:09 PM
Staging Lane

I dont know if these are bigger. I searched on Tire Rack's site for a '99 T/A so I'm assuming that these rotors are made specifically for it and are not any bigger than stock.
Old 10-22-2005 | 08:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

When I bought some calipers with rotors at carquest they gave me some bigger calipers and rotors, but they were heavy sobs. I did really notice much if any braking improvement, that was supposedly their performace calipers and rotors with brake pads.

My stock calipers and rotors are smaller and WAAY lighter then the carquest stuff I bought.

So I really don't think you will need anything else to do the install with the bigger rotors, calipers. Almost forgot, my calipers did come with a new caliper bracket, which im assuming came with your calipers.
Old 10-22-2005 | 09:19 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator
20 Year Member

Originally Posted by TheRedPhoenix
I dont know if these are bigger. I searched on Tire Rack's site for a '99 T/A so I'm assuming that these rotors are made specifically for it and are not any bigger than stock.
If, in TireRack, you specified brake rotors for a T/A, then they should be the stock size rotors (unless otherwise noted).

I mentioned the compatibility issue when you said that you were looking at larger rotor.

Quick Reply: Advice Needed ASAP