Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Does you rear squeak? Fix inside!

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2005 | 04:35 PM
TECH Resident

Default Does you rear squeak? Fix inside!

Ok, so I've had this annoying squeak coming from the rear of my car for the past couple of months. It was pretty loud when going over speed bumps. It was like hearing people going at it on top of a springy bed. Yesterday, I had a pair of polyurethane endlinks installed on all four corners, along with a 1LE front swaybar, and a prothane tranny mount. I took the car out for a drive today, and went over a bunch of speed bumps at a local plaza. All the squeaking noise is gone!

Here's a cross refernce post from CamaroZ28.com with a sound clip depicting the squeak I'm talking about. http://web.camaross.com/forums/showthread.php?t=406755

So if you have a squeak, try replacing the endlinks with polyurethane ones. They are only $15 at your local AutoZone.
Old 10-31-2005 | 04:37 AM
TECH Fanatic

It's about time that someone noticed the problem behind that noise other than myself. I noticed that you have SFC's installed and still had that problem, so thank you for clarifying the culprit behind the noise. Oh, not insult your intelligence, but keep those bushings well lubricated, because once you overlook them, the poly will surely give you problems in addition to the noise you experienced before replacing them.

Everytime someone complains about those types of noises, they always seem to seek relief by installing SFC's. While SFC's can help, they don't solve the problem directly, and many times, not at all. No matter what major chassis/suspension modification is performed, this thread should alert all to check their bushings.
Old 10-31-2005 | 10:12 AM
TECH Addict

Yep, rear sway bar bushings. You can always just grease them. Try removing the bushings and brackets, sanding the sway bar underneath, and greasing with marine grease. This is a common problem but easily fixed. You may find your poly bushings will need greasing frequently until they wear in.