Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Toe setting - How, not how much question.

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2005, 07:01 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Toe setting - How, not how much question.

I have about 0 toe right now. I'd like to change to some slight tow out for a road coarse day next week(for less understeer).

Question:
I'm going to mark the tie rods so I can get back to 0. How much should I change each tie rod to get about 1/16" toe out? I guess what I'm asking is how much will each quarter turn on the tie rod change the toe?

Also, which way do I spin it to make the tie rod longer?
Old 11-09-2005, 07:09 PM
Cal
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

To answer your question, turning each one 1/6 of a turn (using the flats on the lock nut as a refference) will change the total toe about 1/32 of an inch. So turn each one two flats. (but be sure to measure it in case I'm AFU!) But that is what I remember.

To answer the question you didn't ask, IMO you are better off leaving it at zero toe, or better yet checking it and making sure that's what it is really set to. Toe out will mess up your Ackermann (make the inside tire skid on turns) and is not really needed on a fbody with good race tires IMO. If you are using weener cheap street tires with soft side walls, then OK, but you will want to set it back to zero after the race day. I think it is best to get some good road race tires with stiff sidewalls so you don't need toe out to make the car turn.

Toe adjustments won't reduce understeer anyway; might even make it worse. Maxing out the available negative camber is an alignment adjustment that really will reduce understeer. Another thing that will help is a bigger rear swaybar, but don't go too big or the car will be tail happy.

Last edited by Cal; 11-09-2005 at 07:16 PM.

Quick Reply: Toe setting - How, not how much question.