Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Question about Bilsteins

Old 11-13-2005, 10:19 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question about Bilsteins

I searched but didn't really find the answer. What is the difference between Strano's revalved Bilsteins, SLP Bilsteins, and the regular HDs. BTW I'll be using DMS springs with whatever I get.
Old 11-14-2005, 12:06 AM
TECH Fanatic

HDs are basically valved for stock sring rates, the SLP Bilsteins have a bit more rebound and a smidge less compression and work with slightly stiffer springs. The Strano revalves are all different depending on the spring rate and the intended use. In other words, they are custom valved {I think}. Hopefully, Sam will come along and answer the question better.
Old 11-14-2005, 12:11 AM
TECH Resident

out of the three I would go with sams revalved for you springs.if money is not issue.other wise sam say hd are no good with lower springs
Old 11-14-2005, 01:49 AM
On The Tree

Well the reason I ask is because the SLPs are on sale this month and I thought about getting some.
Old 11-14-2005, 02:08 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by JDM_99Z
Well the reason I ask is because the SLPs are on sale this month and I thought about getting some.
from where and the slp bistiens are for a lowered car they were made to be matched with a eibach 1" drop spring
Old 11-14-2005, 05:06 AM
On The Tree

SLP online
Old 11-14-2005, 08:41 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 129 Likes on 84 Posts

PLEASE do a search, it's been discussed in about EVERY thread......

Many will say HD's are fine for lowering springs. Fine, but Bilstein doesn't think so aside from what I think (and I agree having driven many cars like that).

And this statement is almost 100% incorrect: "slp bistiens are for a lowered car they were made to be matched with a eibach 1" drop spring" They are valved for SLP springs that happen to be made by Eibach, but are in no way similar to any of Eibach's aftermarket rates. And they also are not 1" lower, but supposedly about 3/4" and often times not even that. SLP Bilstein's are designed for SLP springs. And as a package are ok performing (about what I think should have been OEM and not optional), but nothing remarkable. Still tuned with comfort and a bit better performance.

Strano Revalves are just what Judd said.. Reworked case by case to match the spring YOU HAVE. Bob with Pro-kits doesn't get what Frank with Hotchkis springs get, and so on. Each spring rate is different in the way they are wound, how soft and stiff they get, and each person has different parts and expectations as well.

If you want to put on a non-adjustable shock vs. say a Koni that can be tweaked to do whatever, then you should use a damper that's tuned for your needs. How many of you put a big cam in a car with stock heads and valve springs? You could, but how smart would that be? Same issue here.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Question about Bilsteins