Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

BIG brake choice's?

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2005, 01:34 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default BIG brake choice's?

Obviously I would like the car to stop better with a 4+ piston setup...especially with the new power under the hood. I have no intentions on AutoXing and 1320 times will be limited. In addition to nose bleed type stopping power, they have to look good and the quality has to be there. I'm sure I can't go wrong with the manufacturer's listed but would like some opinions based real world experience:

Wilwood - $$ - Nice upgrade but not my favorite.

Stoptech - $$$ - Closer to what I'm looking for.

Baer Extreme + (6S) - $$$$ - What I'd REALLY like but am I paying for the name?
Old 12-05-2005, 01:55 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Any of the kits you've listed will do what you ask. I've got a custom Wilwood 6 piston kit from Precision Brakes (sponsor) and it has done everything I've asked of it (including turning the rotors purple from heat) and stopped the car perfectly and without drama every time (even when beating on them on 315/35-17 Hoosier race tires). They really build a nice kit.

I've also installed the Porsche based kits from ProStop Performance. The Porsche pads and parts are a bit more expensive than the Wilwood pads/parts (or that has been my experience) and the kit is a bit more costly (and installation is slightly more complicated). However, if I were doing a Porsche kit, I'd suggest looking into the one built by ProStop Performance.

You'll never find the limits of either of these kits on the street, so the choice will come down to your budget and your prefered cosmetics.
Old 12-05-2005, 03:11 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by trackbird
I've also installed the Porsche based kits from ProStop Performance.
I had this kit (or it's predacessor) installed and absolutley loved the brakes ...

I highly recommend this kit ...
Old 12-05-2005, 11:46 PM
roy
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by mitchntx
I had this kit (or it's predacessor) installed and absolutley loved the brakes ...

I highly recommend this kit ...
I only have experience with the Porsche Base kits and Stoptech kit.
Both are superb kits. I have the Porsche Kit myself. The only real difference is the the Porsche calipers are Monoblok and the pads are just a little bigger .
Old 12-06-2005, 01:22 AM
TECH Fanatic

Can't go wrong with Wilwood, Stoptech, ProStop Porsche Brembos, however be aware with the Baer Brakes might be a tad bit overkill, since they'll require at least an 18 inch rim. If you install 18 inch rims equipped with the tyres to yield the standard overall wheel diameter, then you'll also hurt your performance with cornering as 4th gen f-bodies don't manoeuvre well with this type of wheel combo.

Also, the extra mass with the Baer 6S kits may be undesired for improving brake performance, especially if you opt for a 14 inch rotor, which can still yield less overall weight than the stock rotor, however the rotational weight will be at a larger radius from the centre of the wheel.

My vote, use one of the kits above that will fit some sort of 17 inch diameter rim. If you don't plan on at least autocrossing, which big brakes rarely improve performance with, then you're mostly spending for looks as the tyre compound will serve as a more important means of improving stopping performance at about most legal street speeds.
Old 12-06-2005, 12:23 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Foxxton
Can't go wrong with Wilwood, Stoptech, ProStop Porsche Brembos, however be aware with the Baer Brakes might be a tad bit overkill, since they'll require at least an 18 inch rim. If you install 18 inch rims equipped with the tyres to yield the standard overall wheel diameter, then you'll also hurt your performance with cornering as 4th gen f-bodies don't manoeuvre well with this type of wheel combo.

Also, the extra mass with the Baer 6S kits may be undesired for improving brake performance, especially if you opt for a 14 inch rotor, which can still yield less overall weight than the stock rotor, however the rotational weight will be at a larger radius from the centre of the wheel.

My vote, use one of the kits above that will fit some sort of 17 inch diameter rim. If you don't plan on at least autocrossing, which big brakes rarely improve performance with, then you're mostly spending for looks as the tyre compound will serve as a more important means of improving stopping performance at about most legal street speeds.
My primary concern is the visual aspects of big brakes behind big wheels (18") - stopping is just a bonus for me .

You mention the 'overkill' regarding the Baer system, 14" rotors, ect and the rotational weight issue, but can't that be said with the other systems as well? I have not looked into the Porsche set up, but definately will.

Thanks for the replys.
Old 12-06-2005, 12:59 PM
Launching!

I've also installed the Porsche based kits from ProStop Performance. The Porsche pads and parts are a bit more expensive than the Wilwood pads/parts (or that has been my experience) and the kit is a bit more costly (and installation is slightly more complicated). However, if I were doing a Porsche kit, I'd suggest looking into the one built by ProStop Performance.
Wow, those are nice! Steve-d, right? Did a little 'search'...reasonable price too. All I need to do is get rid of the Porsche decal... I wonder if he'll have any Christmas "deals"

Thanks again, guys.
Old 12-06-2005, 02:35 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by LPE SS
Wow, those are nice! Steve-d, right? Did a little 'search'...reasonable price too. All I need to do is get rid of the Porsche decal... I wonder if he'll have any Christmas "deals"

Thanks again, guys.
lol, I think that bothers everyone. I think theyre painted on BTW, but I dont get it, people will put corvette calipers on theyre cars all day, but dont want the porsche name on thire car. They are some of the best braking cars out there.
Old 12-06-2005, 03:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by LPE SS
My primary concern is the visual aspects of big brakes behind big wheels (18") - stopping is just a bonus for me .

You mention the 'overkill' regarding the Baer system, 14" rotors, ect and the rotational weight issue, but can't that be said with the other systems as well? I have not looked into the Porsche set up, but definately will.

Thanks for the replys.
It can be said with the other systems as well, unless you are really braking to create massive amounts of heat that you need larger rotors to absorb (usually doesn't happen unless you're RR).

From a performance standpoint, usually stock rotors with upgraded pad compounds are sufficient enough for street use, however one improvement with a solid caliper brake kit would be a stiffer pedal feel. Two major factors that affect braking is overall pad swept area and pad compound.

Once again, being external to the exact brake system itself, the tyre compound is a very important factor at all speeds as well.
Old 12-07-2005, 10:22 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by stang killer
lol, I think that bothers everyone. I think theyre painted on BTW, but I dont get it, people will put corvette calipers on theyre cars all day, but dont want the porsche name on thire car. They are some of the best braking cars out there.
That is ironic isn't it? I can't put 'Corvette' brakes on either so at least I'm consistant . Good to hear that its painted...easily removed then. Thanx.
Old 12-07-2005, 10:53 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

However, if I were doing a Porsche kit, I'd suggest looking into the one built by ProStop Performance.
Why do you suggest that one, Kevin? Parts that come with it and ease of installation?
Old 12-07-2005, 01:23 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by CANNIBAL
Why do you suggest that one, Kevin? Parts that come with it and ease of installation?
If you have decided that you want Porsche brakes and are looking for a vendor I can give you a few. I've met Steve D in person on several occasions (at the track of all places..... ). Great guy, and he is really comitted to these cars and this hobby. Also, I've had the opportunity to work with Steve on some other products and he's just outstanding. You'll enjoy working with him. Also, the kit is first rate. The hardware is top quality, the kit is top shelf, the parts you need are included, it fits and it works well. ProStop has done a great job on this kit and it shows. This is the same kit I installed for a friend, so I've layed my hands on one (including the sweet 2 piece floating rotors) and was quite impressed. So, if you want Porsche brakes, I can absolutely recommend Steve D and the ProStop kit. In a nutshell, great kit, great company.
Old 12-08-2005, 09:47 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for that info, Kevin
Old 12-08-2005, 01:45 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by CANNIBAL
Thanks for that info, Kevin
If you get a set, you're welcome to bring 'em over and we'll install them at my place.....

Quick Reply: BIG brake choice's?