Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

What is the problem with my brakes?

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2005, 01:27 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default What is the problem with my brakes?

Okay, i'm really lost here. Basically whenever I brake hard, or come down from a high mph, I push on the brake and the car does NOT want to stop. The brake pedal is firm when I push it, but the car doesn't even feel like it's braking. But then, the pedal pops up at my foot, several times and eventually the car brakes.

I'm not sure what the problem is here. Brake fluid is fine. The only thing I can think of, and others have suggested, is that somehow my warped rotors are contributing to this. I've made a few passes at the track on stock rotors and i'm sure they are warping. But it doesn't sound like an ABS issue.

Any other suggestions what would be causing the popping in the pedal? or the lack of braking power?

Thanks.
Old 12-18-2005, 07:42 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by lsevenl
Okay, i'm really lost here. Basically whenever I brake hard, or come down from a high mph, I push on the brake and the car does NOT want to stop. The brake pedal is firm when I push it, but the car doesn't even feel like it's braking. But then, the pedal pops up at my foot, several times and eventually the car brakes.

I'm not sure what the problem is here. Brake fluid is fine. The only thing I can think of, and others have suggested, is that somehow my warped rotors are contributing to this. I've made a few passes at the track on stock rotors and i'm sure they are warping. But it doesn't sound like an ABS issue.

Any other suggestions what would be causing the popping in the pedal? or the lack of braking power?

Thanks.
Ignoring the pedal pop up part which would sound like abs related, your other symptom sounds like glazed pads, feels like normal pedal, but very little stopping ability.

I would pop off a fromt wheel and have a look at the pads on one side. Take longer to get the car in the air and wheel off then to get the pads out to inspect.

How many miles do you have on the front brakes?
Old 12-18-2005, 09:09 PM
11 Second Club

I have probably 14000 miles on the pads. Car has 20k miles on it, 6k when I bought it in March. But these aren't the original pads I don't believe.
Old 12-18-2005, 09:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

The popping of the pedal is the ABS doing its job... nothing abnormal there. Mine does it every time when braking hard.
Old 12-18-2005, 09:26 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by lsevenl
I have probably 14000 miles on the pads. Car has 20k miles on it, 6k when I bought it in March. But these aren't the original pads I don't believe.
I would still examine the fronts brakes, both sides.

Make sure that the caliper slide pins move freely and are not seized. If so, take the old pins out, clean out the holes, buy a new pin set and lube, and put it back together.
Old 12-19-2005, 12:24 PM
11 Second Club

Thank you for the info.

As far as the ABS is concerned I really have never heard of ABS acting in this manner. Of course if that's how it operates then I suppose I will learn to live with it. It's just a tad scary when trying to brake from high speeds.

I will go out and check my slide pins.

Thank you again Lethl_SS & 2000 TAWS6