Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Sway Bar???

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2006, 09:13 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sway Bar???

Here recently my brother put a humongous rear sway bar on his Grand National and it helped him at the strip launching the car straight. It also dramatically helped his cornering capabilities. I was under my 00 Z28 and saw that the rear sway bar on these cars are small. My Integra has just as big of a sway bar. Anyways I was wondering if any of u F-Body guys has upgraded to a significantly bigger sway bar and what u thought of the car after the install.
Old 01-05-2006, 10:43 AM
Teching In

They have larger diameter sways for both front and rear, many people upgrade thier front sway to a larger one - I have a 32mm spohn front sway and it makes a big difference when cornering, though I notice a diff in general stability of the ride as well - just less side-to-side movement on uneven pavement of any kind. There are "drag" rear sway setups meant to help launch - they are not only thicker, but less flexible as well - often made of a chrome moly steel that is very strong. This sway is often used in combination with an adj pan hard rod and a strong torque arm that is mounted off of the tranny (cross brace usually).
Old 01-06-2006, 02:28 AM
Launching!

I wouldn't mess with the rear bar alone. You will get very tail happy. The front is where you'll notice the biggest difference. I use a hollow 35mm up front, and then and only then did I balance the rear with a 22mm.
Old 01-07-2006, 02:21 AM
Banned

cool thats what i figured cause the stiffer everything is the more the car is prone to spin which makes our cars go sideways around curves...lol Im actually quite suprised at the way it handles stock, from what everyone has told me these cars dont handle that well at all but I beg to differ. It doesnt handle quite as good as my Integra does but I cant complain. I am looking first off to drop the car somewhat but I cant decide if I want to go with a shock strut spring combo or just put some tokico's and eibach sportlines on it. Im coming to find out that there isnt nearly as many after market parts for the F-Body as there is for my Integra.
Old 01-07-2006, 02:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by IntegraVTEC
cool thats what i figured cause the stiffer everything is the more the car is prone to spin which makes our cars go sideways around curves...lol Im actually quite suprised at the way it handles stock, from what everyone has told me these cars dont handle that well at all but I beg to differ. It doesnt handle quite as good as my Integra does but I cant complain. I am looking first off to drop the car somewhat but I cant decide if I want to go with a shock strut spring combo or just put some tokico's and eibach sportlines on it. Im coming to find out that there isnt nearly as many after market parts for the F-Body as there is for my Integra.
Welcome to the forum, and to f-bodies

But...

If you want your f-body to handle well.. tokico's and sportlines are NOT the way to do it... Put some 600 lb/in front springs and maybe 200lb/in rear springs, Koni double adjustable shocks all around, a 35 mm front swaybar and a 22mm rear swaybar on and it'll handle so well you could nauseate your passengers and make them if you so choose.

There are TONS of parts available... you just have start getting some Cevy High Performance mags and some Camaro Performers mags, ditch those Import Tuners magazines and browse through the sponsors -----> to find them. There are about 6 or 8 companies that make headers, about 15 companies that make exhausts, about 5 that make suspension components, at least 6 that make springs... all F-body specific...
Old 01-07-2006, 03:12 AM
Banned

cool, yeah im new to the F-Body's, Ive been a chevy man all my life but mainly with Corvettes (Dad has 4). I just could never afford insurance on a V8 til now so I always had rice burners til i got a job....LOL Im happy with my Integra but Im ready for the good ol AMERICAN MUSCLE!!!!! And I'll take ur advice on the suspension, I've been reading up on these cars alot and wow if I had the money in my Z28 that I do in my Integra I'd be running 9's. Anyways thanks for the warm welcomes and Im glad to be a member of LS1Tech.

Quick Reply: Sway Bar???