Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Active handling/traction control

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2006, 11:04 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Active handling/traction control

Anyone install the corvette active handling/traction control in a conversion? I know there are quite a few sensors and lots of wiring needed to make everything work, but it seems like it would be a great idea in a light, high HP car.
Old 01-06-2006, 08:17 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Where'd you get a light car?
Old 01-06-2006, 08:49 PM
Staging Lane

1963 split window,C4 suspension, LS2 402. Car weighed 2650lbs before I started. Paul Newman claims lots of 2400lb cars with his (this) chassis. LS2 with T56 is suppposed to be 80lb's lighter than the 327 with muncie.All alum suspension with composit springs takes off a lot also.. Big problem is tire size -max about 295's with the extended quarters and no inside frame work.
Old 01-06-2006, 08:57 PM
TECH Senior Member

Cool, I was thinking F-body, and they seem to run about 3,100 lbs when fully gutted. That sounds like a very interesting project.

Now, most talented drivers (national level autocrossers, and potentially some regional level drivers) have found that they are faster with the active handling switched off. If you are not a talented driver, it may keep you out of big trouble (if you are trying hard enough to get in big trouble). I'm guessing it would be a major operation and I don't know how much gain you'll truly see (once you get the car setup, you'll probably be faster without it and it then just becomes extra weight). But, if you have time, energy, money and a couple factory service manuals (and a bit of electronics knowledge), you may just be able to pull it off (I've not looked at that system closely, so I'm just speculating).

Someone once told me, "Anything's possible, you just have to bring the required stack of money".

Could be interesting.
Old 01-07-2006, 01:16 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Find a donor car, since you want to run an ls2/t56 combo... you'd probably just want to take the entire wiring harness. You would have to run the BCM and PCM, because the BCM handles all of the traction control, ABS, and active handling stuff while interfacing with the PCM.

It would be a lot of work.

There are f-bodies that are down to ~2800lb raceweight w/driver. There isn't much car left though.
Old 01-08-2006, 09:12 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Bombguy99z28
There are f-bodies that are down to ~2800lb raceweight w/driver. There isn't much car left though.

I think the lightest road race cars on frrax.com are just over 3,000 lbs. I don't think anyone (on there at least) has one that's under 3k (probably because we made it back up with roll cage).

Quick Reply: Active handling/traction control