Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

What is the "perfect" spring?

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2006, 01:21 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What is the "perfect" spring?

I have BMR springs right now, but have heard some bad things (as well as some good things). I want to know what is the best spring for spirited driving on the street (I figure a good autocrossing spring would siut this); but how badly would this effect track times( I dont go often)? I also am really concerned about looks and I want a nice drop and BMRs dont seem to drop it far enough. However, I have Pacesetter LTs so I'm worried about it being too low.

Thanks for any help, just need to find the right spring for my situation.
Old 01-09-2006, 06:37 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 143 Likes on 93 Posts

I dunno... what's the perfect woman? Answer: There is no perfect woman, and if you think yours is, I'm sure someone else can't stand her.
13 SCCA Pro Solo Nationals Championships
2023 UMI King of the Mountain Champion
Old 01-09-2006, 07:46 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What Sam said.
You need to decide what works best for you, for your particular needs and what you want to do with the car. Give Sam Strano a call, and he will help you figure out your best options.
I think would would be best off going with a coil-over setup, at least in the front. Then you could adjust ride height to your preference. Also, with the CO setup, many different spring rates are available to get the ride to how you like it.

I have had: Eibach Pro-kit springs (these were alright, but the rear springs saged after a while, the rear sitting lower than the front I hated that - but i could have fabricated some spacers for the rear springs to take care of that.
The I tried the Hypercoild springs LG used to sell. These were good, until i got headers. The the car was too low, and i had to avoid all speed bumps, constantly having to worry about bottoming.
I now have the BMR... just enough clearance for the headers with these. Go much lower and you will have issues with your LT's and the ground.
But the BMR and most other aftermarket springs are variable-rate springs and are harder to damp than linear-rate springs, meaning you will need either custom-valved Bilsteins, or Koni adjusteable shocks to get your springs properly damped and get rid of that horrible "bouncy" ride.
All that said, is why I would say go with the coil-over setup, get some linear-rate springs, maybe 450 in/lb rate. The adjust you ride height how you like it. Call sam, he will help you.