Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Need to replace calipers when rotors go bad?

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2006, 01:36 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Need to replace calipers when rotors go bad?

Whoever did the brakes on my car before didnt put the wear indicators on correctly, so my brakes just started rubbing metal-to-metal. The rotors are beyond resurfacing, so the rotor needs to be replaced.

But the guy told me that I might have to replace the caliper as well? Doesnt sound right...
Old 01-14-2006, 02:09 PM
Staging Lane

It might depend on the rotor. I'm looking into new rotors as well, and almost all of them say "no modifications required. works with OEM parts, calipers, pads, etc."

I guess if the rotors you are looking at don't say that, you might should ask somebody who knows more than I do. =p
Old 01-14-2006, 03:17 PM
Staging Lane

i think you should be alright, if there is no damage to the caliper then it doesn't make sense to have to change it. DO IT YOURSELF, if you have a place to do it they are not hard at all. why pay the extra money to have them put on wrong?
Old 01-14-2006, 03:24 PM
BMW ///M Nerd

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There is no reason to replace the caliper.

Now, in your case, make sure all your dust boots are good. Also, make sure the piston slides freely in its bore. You should be good to go. With the info you posted, I'd recommend taking your car somewhere else.

There is really only one reason to replace a brake caliper.... When the caliper is frozen, as in the piston no longer slides in its bore. In this case, you can rebuild it. But in most cases, a new/rebuilt caliper is relatively cheap.
Old 01-14-2006, 10:43 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by BAD *** TA WS6

Now, in your case, make sure all your dust boots are good. Also, make sure the piston slides freely in its bore. You should be good to go. With the info you posted, I'd recommend taking your car somewhere else.

There is really only one reason to replace a brake caliper.... When the caliper is frozen, as in the piston no longer slides in its bore. In this case, you can rebuild it. But in most cases, a new/rebuilt caliper is relatively cheap.
^^^ What he said!!!!
Old 01-15-2006, 12:33 AM
TECH Senior Member

Sounds like hes trying to get rich off you. New pads and rotors should be all you need. I agree, take it to someone else.
Old 01-15-2006, 05:46 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by BAD *** TA WS6

Another real reason would be if they're are delfecting, which has happened to me, even with proper bed-in combined with lots of hard braking on the street. It is rare, however it can happen with stock calipers.
Old 01-15-2006, 04:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

replace rotors yourself or take it to somone else.

Quick Reply: Need to replace calipers when rotors go bad?