Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Clunk While Braking

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2006, 08:41 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Clunk While Braking

Hey there I have an 02WS6 and whenever I am braking i hear a clunking or rubbing noise coming from my left front wheel. If i brake really hard it doesnt do it. But it sounds just like something is rubbing on my tire. But it only does it when I am braking. If anyone has any ideas let me know...Thanx
Old 01-15-2006, 02:46 AM
TECH Veteran

warped rotor?
Old 01-15-2006, 05:20 AM
TECH Fanatic

If it's absolute stock, you ought to first check your alignment, then your front end bushings, ball joints, and tie rod ends. You don't have to do all of them, however if one problem isn't solved or isn't found to be the cause, then look to the other. You could also have your rotors checked for excessive runout, though by your description, I doubt that's what's really going on.
Old 01-15-2006, 08:30 AM
Launching!

Well my alignment is good and so is my tie rod end. There is no slop in the wheel or steering. I guess i have never checked my balljoints or anything but wouldnt I hear something or feel something besides when im just brakig? It doesnt even have to be heavy breaking i can berely be on the brakes and it does it. I have brand new brakes and everything on it and its not warped rotors because you hear it more than you feel it. I guess ill check all my joints and stuff over. Thanx
Old 01-15-2006, 09:22 AM
Launching!

Alright i went out and jacked it up and looked at it and I cant tell where the sound would be coming from. Everything seems tight. There is no side to side movement at all. There is just a bit of movement from top to bottom. But i cant see how that would make this much sound. I have NO sound whatsoever just driving. But when i hit the brakes it makes this clunking. I checked my brake caliper and that all seems tight. The only thing is is where the caliper slides or floats on them sliders there is some play which i think some it normal. But is anything like that going to cause a noise like this. I can even feel it through the pedal. Unless when something is under that much stress it makes the noise. But its pretty noticable sound...i think i would be able to tell all the time if it was a ball joint or something but i dont know it probably could be. If anyone has any ideas let me know. Thanx
Old 01-15-2006, 01:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Check the guide pins of the caliper and inspect your pads just to be safe.
Old 01-15-2006, 05:43 PM
Teching In

For the fact that you feel it in your pedal, I would look closer at your brakes. Like your caliper, slide pins, and mounting points.

I think that little bit of slop would defintly make a noise under ANY braking. The caliper is trying to grab something that, even at 30 MPH, is going fast. So any freeplay will cause movement and most likely result in two pieces contacting which would make your noise. I would bet you just need to tighten something.
Old 01-15-2006, 07:39 PM
Launching!

I checked my calipers and everything is tight. I looked at the joints and Kmember and control arms and everything and it all seems tight. I was out driving it tonight and trying to listen to it. And it does it mostly right before your stopped. Like it starts it at like 20-30 and gets louder until RIGHT before you stop. I can hit the brakes going like 50-60 and you dont really hear or feel anything. But i had it jacked up tonight and i cheked everything and i cant find anything thats loose. If it is a balljoint is it going to act like this. Wouldnt you be able to feel a vibration and stuff at higher speeds and such. But what really confuses me is that it doesnt happen just once. Wouldnt s loose joint or suspension part just make like one or two clunks at a time. This here just clunks rythmicly unitl you stop and you dont hear a thing once you start moving again. Its starting to bother me that i cant find anything wrong.

Quick Reply: Clunk While Braking