Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Is an alignment REALLY needed after a lowering spring install?

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2006, 04:37 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Is an alignment REALLY needed after a lowering spring install?

I've searched posts on this and all of the answers to my question is yes--an alignment should be done so that your front tires don't wear out or wear unevenly in x,xxx miles. However, I know people offline who used Eibach Prokit lowering springs with stock shocks on an LS1 f-body and have never experienced uneven or premature tire wear. I have also been to a personal website where an LS1 Z28 owner swapped out the factory springs for the very stiff Suspension Technique springs and was surprised to see that the front suspension had maintained its factory alignment. With that said, is an alignment REALLY needed after a lowering spring install? Thanks in advance for the info.
Old 02-05-2006, 04:39 PM
TECH Resident

Yes, unless you want to wear out the inside edge of your tires. Your camber will most likely need to be adjusted.
Old 02-05-2006, 04:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah, when the car is lowered, the tires that were sitting flat are now turned inward which is going to put most of the weight on the inside which in turn will give greatly reduced tire life. As for me, I had an alignment done after my lowering but had them set to semi race spec for more grip so mine are still turned in somewhat.
Old 02-05-2006, 05:13 PM
TECH Junkie

Let me show you a picture:

On the left is the passenger side front tire, on the right is the passenger side rear tire. These are BFG KDW tires, in case you're wondering. Both tires were purchased on the same day. At 10K miles, I rotated the tires front to back. I'd estimate there is about 20K miles on these tires. You can clearly see that the inside tread is VERY worn compared to the rest of the tire. I installed Hotchkis springs and didn't get an alignment done until right before I pulled these off to get new rims and tires.

I'd say an alignment is necessary. It's not that expensive.

-Mike
Old 02-05-2006, 05:54 PM
TECH Addict

Without a doubt
Old 02-05-2006, 10:47 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Damon you're right. When I had the 99 Z28 I didnt get it aligned right away. That is when i had the regular SS wheels. When i got the Y2K C5's and panhard bar I went to Deltona and had it aligned. I still even have the receipt for it.
Old 02-06-2006, 06:16 PM
Banned

Also takes some of the twitchiness out of the steering. It will steer and track alot better.

Quick Reply: Is an alignment REALLY needed after a lowering spring install?