Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Front pass spring install

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2006, 10:47 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front pass spring install

Okay guys i have a bit of a problem. I know this has been addressed but i was installing some new springs on my '99 trans-am. I have both the backs done as well as the front driver side. The front passenger side is being a (*&(&*. The bolt on top of the spring is rusted. I got if about half way and it won't budge. My question is can i take it somewhere and have them just cut the bolt off (im a college student with not many tools). Or anything else I could possibly do to avoid messing the shock up (ive heard of cutting the strut off and replacing that if so how expensive is that? ). Thanks for your help in advance.
Old 02-13-2006, 12:30 AM
Teching In

ttt anyone
Old 02-13-2006, 12:44 AM
TECH Addict

Are you replacing the shocks while doing your spring swap (I hope so)? If so, then just cut the stud off and get the shock off. If not replacing the shocks, then I'd try cleaning the threads up a little with a wire brush and some WD-40. Tighten the nut back down to where it was, then clean the threads up. Once they look good, try loosening it up again and be sure to use plenty of WD-40. Where in Texas are you?
Old 02-13-2006, 11:45 AM
Teching In

Well Im not replacing them at the moment. I will be in the next few months ( I know its twice the work but my dad will buy them for me if I wait so its worth it). Ill try to tighten it and clean the stud again and see if i can get it off if not ill see if i can buy a used front shock/strut from someone till i get new shocks. Thanks for the advice.
Old 02-13-2006, 08:31 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Or just loosen up the clamps so the spring becomes just a bit more loaded exerting pressure on that top nut. This should help loosen it up some more, just be careful.
Old 02-13-2006, 09:28 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 61 Likes on 48 Posts

I just went through the same thing a few weeks ago, except on both sides. There's always chance that if they are severely corroded that you won't be able to re-use the shock. You must consider the possibility of needing to buy new shocks if you get them off and it looks questionable. If it's your only car, it could put you in a bind. If you're on the typical student financial situation, perhaps you can find a used shock to put on until you can afford to replace both fronts. If you can afford to do new shocks, call Sam Strano and discuss your needs. You'll be very hard pressed to convince him to sell you anything which you don't need.

I put on the spring compressor, compressed the spring enough to take the pressure off the upper shock mount, and soaked the entire upper assembly with PB Blaster. A few hours later I broke it loose with a battery impact wrench. The nut came off fine, but the threads on the shock pin left a little bit to be desired.

I soaked the mounting parts in a degreasing solution. Then I used a die on the pin threads, and added a jam nut. I soaked the crevices (pin and nuts also) which collect water with antiseize, then topped that off with a layer of spray-on undercoating. Only time will tell if that was enough to reduce the corrosion.
Old 02-14-2006, 08:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Just cut it off and buy new shocks now. It's insane to do it twice and you probably won't save that shock anyhow.

Quick Reply: Front pass spring install